Makarov Reloading - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Makarov Reloading

As stated by several already. What I buy most is Monarch, which is renamed Barnaul, for Academy and it's steel and Berdan primed, not to mention it throws them into a different area code. Plus I'm not going to reload for $12 a box. I quess that's why I've never reloaded 9mm either. Should be interesting though.

Too soon old . . . Too late smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 06:18 PM

I have reloaded the 9mmMak for some time and with cast bullets it is one of the most accurate handguns I have shot. I have a Hungarian FEG PA-63 that was in like new condition when I got it about 10 years ago, but I left it in my range bag for about a week and the exterior is now pitted. I threw together a jacketed hollowpoint bullet load for it to carry and it doesn't shoot as well as the cast but plenty accurate for a defense pistol. I replaced it with a Sig Sauer 380 for carry about a year ago though. This cartridge is like any other center fire, if you want to roll your own you can reap the benefits that handloading can impart. BTW, it is an easy cartridge to reload, I got my brass from Starline.com
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 03:42 PM

My experience with reloading for an East German Mak' and a CZ-(VZ)82. I love these two little pistols. Very accurate and cheap to feed at the range.

Both bullets are Hardcast Lead from "Rimrock Bullets". ONLY Bullseye Powder used in these loads below although Tightgroup would be a perfect choice for this cartridge as well, I believe.

Leading NOT a problem in Polygon CZ barrel that I have ever noticed. Just clean it properly after 100-150 rnds. or so like normal. Very small amount begins just fwd. of throat, but Not a problem.

95g.. Rnd Nose Hardcast: (looks like the very "round" factory bullet just in lead)
2.9gr. BE = 859-880 fps in 10 rnds.
3.2gr. BE = 929-962 fps "" (Most Accurate Load in this bullet & Powder)
3.4gr. BE = 962-994 fps ""
3.6gr. BE = 1004-1042 fps ""

116g. Flat-Nose Hardcast: (I prefer this bullet for loading and shooting. Zero feeding problems)
2.2g. BE = 681-710 fps in 10 rnds.
2.4g. BE = 752-780 fps
2.6g. BE = 780-816 fps (6 rnds in one ragged hole fired rested from CZ-82 at about 10 yds. - best)
2.8g. BE = 832-881 fps

HARDCAST LOADS: All these combinations above really shoot well in both guns with the standout being the 2.6g BE Load under the 116 FP in the CZ. Top loads for both bullets just a little extra "Snappy" without any accuracy gain, not worth it.

FACTORY: Fiocci 95 gr. hard-ball shot at bout 920-980 fps. It is very accurate as well and really shines in the E. German (traditional rifling) gun.

All charge weights were individually weighed for testing accuracy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpshaw
I'm not going to reload for $12 a box.
Went again last week. Now it's $10.99 for 50 FMJ and $14.98 for 50 JHP. All Monarch which is re-branded Barnaul Russian.

BTW that Barnaul is steel cased and berdan primed also.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not going to reload for $12 a box.
Went again last week. Now it's $10.99 for 50 FMJ and $14.98 for 50 JHP. All Monarch which is re-branded Barnaul Russian.

BTW that Barnaul is steel cased and berdan primed also.

If you have brass and reload jacketed, the cost is about a dime per round or $5.00 per 50. If you cast your own, the cost is about 3 cents per round or $1.50 per 50. Seems worthwhile to me. Loading 50 rounds on a progressive press doesn't take much time.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandsrus
Loading 50 rounds on a progressive press doesn't take much time.
My old Lyman Spartan C press is not what I call progressive.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 07:47 AM

I have handloaded the Makarov cartridge. Have the necessaries on hand but....I am still working my way through some cases of factory stuff that I bought when it was very inexpensive.
The factory ammo is quite accurate. I appreciate loading for better accuracy but do not see that there is much, if anything, to be gained in this case.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 PM

I enjoy reloading for the CZ 82. I have plenty of 9mm brass and just cut them down to 9x18 size. With my cast lee 95 gr boolits it is fun and accurate too. I carry it occasionally too

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 AM

Count me among those who reload for the Mak I bought a Lee 2 cav mold and shoot as cast with alox lube.
I would second the 1.50-2.00 per box of 50 cost. It is cheaper to shoot than my .22lr, if I don't count my time. Since I get a lot of loading done while doing laundry or, lately, boiling maple sap, I don't consider this dedicated time that cuts into anything else.
I did find that the loads can't be varied much to keep the action cycling reliably.

Just my Awf Hand comments...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page