Anyone using Sierra 225gr. Gamekinds in a Whelen ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Default Anyone using Sierra 225gr. Gamekinds in a Whelen ?

Heard some mixed reviews on these bullets... Called Sierra today and they stated they were made for the Whelen to perform on deer AND elk. Was wondering if any of you had some hands on experience?

Thanks,

Jim

[size=18px]He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.[/size]

- Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Anyone using Sierra 225gr. Gamekinds in a Whelen ?

Can't say how well they work on game yet , but they shoot well

Cecil
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 PM
K-1

I have loaded up a box (50) of them for Moose this yr.. What I've heard is that they are accurate but open fast , which is good for deer but may not penetrate deep on a Moose. The load I am using is 59gr. RL 15 in a Rem CDL , they work good on paper so will see how good they are on a bull.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaElkSlayer
Heard some mixed reviews on these bullets... Was wondering if any of you had some hands on experience?
Hey Jim!
This topic sounds familiar because I feel like I'm going to repeat myself, which I'm told I often do anyway ??? I have some of the Sierra 225's I got to try in my .358 Win. Then I decided I'd try them, the 225's that is, this year in my Whelen since I'm trying 200 gr. Rem SPCL's in my .358 this year. But then, Tim is included in this somewhere I think, anyway, we, some folks here on GB's, got talking about the Speer 180's and since I had some of those that I was going to try in my 35 Rem I decided to load up some in the Whelen instead of the the 225's since I should be able to get something well over 2800 fps with the 180's and they are constructed stout enough to take that velocity even though people think they are made for the old 35 and... and... :-\ Uh, no, I guess I don't have any hands on experience with the 225's in the Whelen... :-[

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 AM

I have nothing bad to say about them!
I did some shooting after i found my load and got the 35whelen 7600 rem all sighted in
and played with yardage and scope adjustments.
I had a life size cardboard deer target for bow shooting and i kept moving out to
get my scope settings and at the end or my final was 400yds.
I could put 5 shots in the lung area with these bullets.
on deer NEVER HAD TO TRACK ONE slams them down like a sledge hammer.
I never got a shot over 150 yds every thing was about 50-150 yds.
Brother in law shot one at about 300 yds and it when in the corn but blood ever place and it only got
about 10 yds from were it was shot.
I would use these and not look back!!!!
I tried the 250 gr on deer by speer and piss pour don't waste your money.to heavy to get good yardage
and worst of all Example:I shot a doe at 75yds broadside right it in the lungs perfect dead deer shot WRONG!
Why you may ask?Bullets don't expand,it hit a rib going in and shot the bullet down and out the bottom.we tracked
that deer over a mile.
I would leave the 250s at the store and stay with the 225 sierra for anything with the 35 whelen.

[move]KURT L[/move]
[move]Go TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE[/MOVE]
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
I have nothing bad to say about them!
I did some shooting after i found my load and got the 35whelen 7600 rem all sighted in
and played with yardage and scope adjustments.
I had a life size cardboard deer target for bow shooting and i kept moving out to
get my scope settings and at the end or my final was 400yds.
I could put 5 shots in the lung area with these bullets.
on deer NEVER HAD TO TRACK ONE slams them down like a sledge hammer.
I never got a shot over 150 yds every thing was about 50-150 yds.
Brother in law shot one at about 300 yds and it when in the corn but blood ever place and it only got
about 10 yds from were it was shot.
I would use these and not look back!!!!
I tried the 250 gr on deer by speer and piss pour don't waste your money.to heavy to get good yardage
and worst of all Example:I shot a doe at 75yds broadside right it in the lungs perfect dead deer shot WRONG!
Why you may ask?Bullets don't expand,it hit a rib going in and shot the bullet down and out the bottom.we tracked
that deer over a mile.
I would leave the 250s at the store and stay with the 225 sierra for anything with the 35 whelen.
Kurt,
Did the bullets all punch through?

Jim

[size=18px]He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.[/size]

- Albert Einstein
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:04 PM

As I remember I think they did. This was back around 1990? Had to sell the gun ,
I still load for it and the 225s are going bear hunting this year he told me.
You will not any other loads if you get this bullet it just works great.

[move]KURT L[/move]
[move]Go TO RIFLE RED RYDER SUPER MAG CARBINE[/MOVE]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Kurt! Was in town and checked the little shop with reloading supplies that we have. I was amazed, there was one lonely box of 225gr. GameKings. Think I will be working up some loads tonight.

Jim

- Albert Einstein
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM

No hands-on experience with the Sierra 225s here. I will add two comments anyway:

1. I have had good on-game performance from the 220 gr. Hdy. flat nose on WT deer when loaded in my Whelen. Seems like I never shoot over 100 yds. so I can't talk about long-range trajectory for the 220 FN.

2. Ken Waters has suggested that 225 gr. may be the ideal bullet weight for the 35 Whelen. At least he got the best results in that weight from his Rem. 700 Classic. I used the 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaw in Federal factory ammo to take an antelope doe (about 150 yds.) and a spike elk (about 75 yds.) in the same season about five years ago. I was impressed at the excellent terminal performance on those two animals even though one was small and light and the other was much larger and tougher.

I wouldn't be afraid to use the 225 Sierras on the eatin'-size elk I go after each Fall. As a matter-of-fact I just talked with a local man who uses 125 gr. 30-06 ammo for late season cow elk in wide open hay meadows -- not my idea of the best bullet but he swears it gives good performance in that setting.

Quote:
Hunt close, then get closer.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:18 PM

I have shot a number of deer with 225 Serria in a .358 win-- good performance --goood expansion --always exit-- so far woods shots only--- velocity 2480--very accurate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page