Winchester 670 in .264 - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 373
Default Winchester 670 in .264

I have been looking for a .264 for a while. I had planned on finding one in a mod 70 but have a chance at one in 670. Anyone with experience? Fair price for a 90% rifle? Thanks for any info.

Handis: .17 mach2 (x2), .22 lr, 22 hornet, .22 jet, .223, .243, .270, .280, .357 max (x2), 35 remington, 35 whelen, 45-70, 445sm, 30-30, 410, 500 S&W, 50 AK



"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if
necessary."-- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch
mo_bio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pocahontas, Arkansas
Posts: 5,947
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

The only old 70/670 in 264 I would want is the M70 Westerner.
However, Win. has one now in a good configuration & their quality is way up.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535108

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
nomosendero is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sandy, Utah
Posts: 1,518
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

I remember the old 670 Winchesters, just didn't realize they chambered it in .264 Win. Well, before Winchester went belly-up I would say that $300-$350 would be a fair price for a used 670. Now, no telling. I think I would start off offering $300 and go as high as I felt Okay with. I doubt the previous owner (owners) ever shot it enough to hurt it, and even if it had a 22" barrel ( you didn't specify) it would still be a good using rifle. Every 670 I saw was in 30.06 and plain as dirt, ha, you can't hurt a rifle like that in the field though.
I have a good friend down in Texas who bought a Mod 700 BDL from another friend of ours, way back in the late '70s, he still has it. He (and now his boys) have shot bookoo deer/hogs with it at some impressive ranges. Good luck to you Pard.
RevJim is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pocahontas, Arkansas
Posts: 5,947
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevJim
I remember the old 670 Winchesters, just didn't realize they chambered it in .264 Win. Well, before Winchester went belly-up I would say that $300-$350 would be a fair price for a used 670. Now, no telling. I think I would start off offering $300 and go as high as I felt Okay with. I doubt the previous owner (owners) ever shot it enough to hurt it, and even if it had a 22" barrel ( you didn't specify) it would still be a good using rifle. Every 670 I saw was in 30.06 and plain as dirt, ha, you can't hurt a rifle like that in the field though.
I have a good friend down in Texas who bought a Mod 700 BDL from another friend of ours, way back in the late '70s, he still has it. He (and now his boys) have shot bookoo deer/hogs with it at some impressive ranges. Good luck to you Pard.
Yea, the barrel was what I was refering to, but trying to avoid arguments. If it is a 22" , just buy a used 270

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
nomosendero is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 373
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

Thanks guys. The barrel was a 24". I say was because I missed out on it. Somebody wanted it MUCH more than I did. The search continues...

Handis: .17 mach2 (x2), .22 lr, 22 hornet, .22 jet, .223, .243, .270, .280, .357 max (x2), 35 remington, 35 whelen, 45-70, 445sm, 30-30, 410, 500 S&W, 50 AK



"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if
necessary."-- Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch
mo_bio is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Posts: 541
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

I bought a Winchester 670 in 30-06 for a good price and had it rebarreled to 35 Whelen. They're well built rifles with the best features of the famous model 70 but lower grade of wood for the stock. Trigger is exceptionally well built.

TR
T.R. is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: State of Jefferson
Posts: 3,486
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

My hunting partner and his dad bought Winchester 670's in 30-06. Both had accidental discharges when closing the bolt on a live round. This was a factory defect and Winchester repair the rifles. It seems there we a lot of accidental discharges. Forthy years later my brother buys a 670 to build a wildcat on. He had a accidental discharge and had the rifle repaired by a gunsmith.

I would buy a Winchester 670 after doing some testing to see if the firing pin dropped on closing the action. Suspect the problem was part of a production run.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps. Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.
Siskiyou is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,203
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskiyou
My hunting partner and his dad bought Winchester 670's in 30-06. Both had accidental discharges when closing the bolt on a live round. This was a factory defect and Winchester repair the rifles. It seems there we a lot of accidental discharges. Forthy years later my brother buys a 670 to build a wildcat on. He had a accidental discharge and had the rifle repaired by a gunsmith.

I would buy a Winchester 670 after doing some testing to see if the firing pin dropped on closing the action. Suspect the problem was part of a production run.
I picked up a 670 in 30-06 to use as a beater or possible re-barrel to 8x57. A mistake. Never had any accidental discharges, but had horrible feeding problems with jamming and stove piping of rounds. It simply would not feed. Ok as a single shot, but I wanted a repeater.

A friend took a shine to it and thought he could fix it and he bought it from me and spent a lot of time trying to make it work right. A year later he had a fatal heart attack. I hope that 670 did not contribute to his early demise.
lgm270 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 111
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

Back in '08 or '09 I was looking for a 264 win mag. I settled on a new Rem 700 cdl limited edition in 264wm, just because it had a 26" barrel. Just thought I would throw that out as an option 4 you.
supertodd is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,203
Default Re: Winchester 670 in .264

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertodd
Back in '08 or '09 I was looking for a 264 win mag. I settled on a new Rem 700 cdl limited edition in 264wm, just because it had a 26" barrel. Just thought I would throw that out as an option 4 you.
How did your Remington .264 work out? What kind of loads? Hunting?

Why did you pick the .264 and how do you like it?
lgm270 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome