bh 209 primer blow back prob - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Default bh 209 primer blow back prob

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem of gas blowing by the primer in a T/C encore. I'm using blackhorn 209 and cci 209 and 209 magnum primers. It's not effecting accuracy. But it shouldn't be happening.

squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:15 AM

Default Re: bh 209 primer blow back prob

How old is your breech plug? Is the bottom of the primer pocket nice and square, or is it eroded any around the flame channel from any gas cutting? What is the diameter of your flash hole? Breech plugs are wear items, and need to be replaced periodically.

Your headspace tolerance may be too great for those primers which generally average around .297"-.298". You could try some Winchester W209's, they have measured between .300" and .305" for years, however my last purchase they measured between .297" and .301".

If you load just a primer in your rifle with no powder/bullet load, push it in the primer pocket as far as it will go, then lay a straight edge across the breech end of your barrel. You will be able to see if your primer has any space between it and the straight edge. If you have a set of calipers, measure the primer length, then go to a safe area and shoot just the primer with no load in the rifle, then remove and remeasure the primer length. The primer will slide back in the battery cup, and tell you exactly what your total primer headspace is. If you can get primers closer to that length, it will reduce or eliminate blowback.

A new breech plug could cure your problems as well, and it never hurts to have a spare on hand. Should be able to buy a Encore breech plug for $15-$20, unless you have the Pro-Hunter or Endeavor?

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:07 AM

I had that problem last year too with a brand new breech plug, but the center of the primer was bulging too, making it hard to open the breech. Im thinking 120 grains of BH is too much for remington primers.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Howdy! Try cutting back a bit on the powder charge and see if it stops. I never go more than 100 gr on my powder charge eventhough they may say it can go 150 gr. Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 AM

You can use an o-ring in the bottom of the primer pocket that is drilled deeper (half o-ring thickness). Their available from Lowes, Home Depot or any large hardware. Their cheap and last at least 50-100 shots.

I have been a lost child most of my life.
Since being born in a log cabin that I built with my own hands, it has been an uphill struggle all the way. Being so devastatingly handsome, intelligent, rich-beyond-belief, and humble have all worked together to shape me and my destinies.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas and the input. I'll give them a try and see what works.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem of gas blowing by the primer in a T/C encore.
Umm...Err...Buy a Savage?

Seriously TC makes fine guns but they tend to have the tightest bores in the industry. What bullet/sabot combination are you using? How hard is it to push them down the barrel? If you were to pull the breech plug and send a bullet/sabot down the barrel with the butt stock on a bathroom scale and you are seeing more than 25-35 pounds of seating pressure there is a good chance that you are building up excessive pressure due to a tight load.

If you are seeing more than 35 pounds (max) of pressure you could try a smaller sabot such as the MMP (Magnum Muzzleloading Products) HPH 24 or the Crushed Rib sabot from Harvester Muzzleloading. They can be just the ticket for tight bores. The HPH 24 is 0-002" smaller than standard and the ribbed design of the Crushed Rib sabots allows them to work very well with various bore dimensions.

http://www.harvesterbullets.com/

http://www.mmpsabots.com/

Lance
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm using the 300 gr hornady sst and the harvester sabot. IT happens with 80grs of bh209 or 120grs and anything in between. Seating the bullet doesn't require a lot of of pressure.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM

Gotta be your plug. I shoot the same setup and never have had a blow back problem. Unbelievability accurate too boot, sabots slide down with minimal effort.

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the **** they please. --John Wayne
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 PM

Are you using your primer extractor? That needs to be in to stay cleaner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page