Yet another barrel build - a new 445 is born! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Default Yet another barrel build - a new 445 is born!

Barrel blank: http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/44-mag-1-0...stainless.aspx center turned to .980 due to an off-center bore (a truly shocking development upon opening a $45 no-name barrel blank)

Another laser-cut lug:

What's the forend doing there? That'll be important later. Also important: The little breech alignment "ears" which serve to hold the rear face of the barrel EXACTLY in line with the rear of the lug to eliminate having to file on it - I've got my lugs to where they come out just a hair under length so I can shim it to fit rather than having to soot and file. This one took three layers of soda can aluminum to lock in perfectly.

Chambering and crowning are well documented processes, so I'll skip the details except to say quickdtoo's 445 reamer is sharp as heck and does a fine job.

(No barrel is complete until a fat shop dog has had a chance to sniff it)

A typically beautiful weld job from my gunsmith-recommended welder. All that gets ground off during fitting anyway, so it works.

Whole thing together with a new forend made for it:

All scoped:

Why's the forend at an angle? Because I'm still working out the kinks in this design, which is the coolest part of this build in my opinion:

I've incorporated the forend stud into the underlug, rather than welding it to the barrel. While the original purpose of this was to save me a welding step and make all the studs the EXACT right distance from the frame, it also serves to isolate the barrel from the forend entirely - the weight of the gun and barrel are not enough to force the forend into contact, though I can squeeze it there if I want to. On a barrel with any kind of taper it would work much better.

The advantages to this, aside from floating the barrel, are saving several steps in the aligning and welding of the stud, as well as making its location consistent so I'm not having to make new forends for every barrel anymore. Though I probably still will. It also stops the barrel from swinging too far open by bumping into the frame - I can still access the chamber, of course, but my extractorless barrels typically swing open much further than a factory one, and this one doesn't!

Haven't shot it yet, waiting on 445 brass and dies, but if it performs like my 357 it'll be a good one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:52 AM

Love it!

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Very cool. Keep up the good work and keep posting.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: .22 S,L,LR, .223 Rem, 30-06, 357 mag/max, 35 Whelen, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:35 PM

What a talent.. great.

Bill

Stay Safe
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 PM

Genius!! I really like the way you did the forearm..d
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:25 AM

I gotta agree with everyone else, Wow , great work and planning. I can't wait to see the targets when it is up and shooting. Take care, John.

It's not what you do, but how you do what you do, that counts.
Just keep on keeping on!
NRA Life Member
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM

Nice build! I bought two of those blanks and turned them into sort of a rimless 445 super mag. Length is the same as is the case capacity, but the base OD is larger as they're based off of 30-06 brass with thicker webs for use in a semiauto. On a 14.5" barrel with a welded on brake to bring it up to 16"+ I was getting groups around 3/4" at 100yds off of a bench with a scope using a 240gr xtp. Made a 16" one as well, but haven't shot it for group size yet. My blanks were also off and needed turned down to around .980" between centers to clean up. They cut and threaded nicely and chambered nicely. I wasn't expecting much for what the blanks cost but have been pleased with them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:32 PM

Man that's cool!! Very creative! Good work.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM

I like it.
I sent you a PM with a question.

Make it count.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page