223 ejector contacts receiver face when closing - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Default 223 ejector contacts receiver face when closing

Hey guys. Just received a new to me 223 barrel and delighted to say it mates up solid. However, ejector on 223 barrel seems to drag across the face of receiver a lot more than the 308 extractor barrel that was original to gun. I see a some slight marring or discoloration in bluing where extractor currently drags across

Is this a serious issue? Got any suggestions?

As always, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Womp womp. Found an answer. For anyone wondering apparently it's normal as per VVVV

Ejector Rubbing/Grinding
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:19 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

an extractor will "cam" back into place as the rifle
is closed up, as opposed to an ejector that uses
the breech face of the receiver to push the ejector
itself back into place against the spring tension of
the ejector spring. opening it up "pulls the trigger"
of the ejector and makes the spent shell pop out
as opposed to an extractor camming open and lifting
it out. at least that's how mine works

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
an extractor will "cam" back into place as the rifle
is closed up, as opposed to an ejector that uses
the breech face of the receiver to push the ejector
itself back into place against the spring tension of
the ejector spring. opening it up "pulls the trigger"
of the ejector and makes the spent shell pop out
as opposed to an extractor camming open and lifting
it out. at least that's how mine works
The only step you didn't mention of using a Handi ejector fitted barrel is the spent case slamming into your face at near terminal velocity. At least in the early stages of operational bliss as you're lulled into a false sense of security in how little kick 223 has compared 308
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeG View Post
The only step you didn't mention of using a Handi ejector fitted barrel is the spent case slamming into your face at near terminal velocity. At least in the early stages of operational bliss as you're lulled into a false sense of security in how little kick 223 has compared 308

?, Has never has happened to me, perhaps keep your FACE out of the way? After all you don't stand in front of a speeding truck and then complain about the truck hitting you....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM

If you are getting hit in the face with empty brass from a ejector Handi and find it difficult to keep your face out of the way you might try this. After you start opening of the action by first pushing down the release lever place either your right or left hand (whichever is better for you) over the back of the chamber area and then complete opening the action. Your cupped hand will stop the empty from flying away and landing a distance from you and it will be in your hand. No picking it out of the chamber in cold weather or with gloves on if hunting or target shooting in cold weather. It works slick and soon becomes second nature, it is quick and reliable....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:44 AM

And by the way, no issues with the way your ejector works, it is working correctly....<><....

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Tilt the rifle to your right slightly as you open. I normally forget the hand the first 3 times. But I somehow remember the tilt better. Then instead of hitting your face you get to watch it float over your shoulder.

Interests wide and widely varying.
Happily married 18 years. Retired on SS with lots of time to spend.
Started with .223 Ultra Bull barrel. Added .357 Talo barrel. Added an action and stock set bought here, 7.62x39 barrel. Then bought complete guns .444 Marlin and .300 Blackout. Leaving me at 4 complete rifles plus a barrel. Plus a 9mm stub job bought here, and I have been finding and buying H&R shotguns at our local pawn shop where they seem to go cheap.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP Ret View Post
?, Has never has happened to me, perhaps keep your FACE out of the way? After all you don't stand in front of a speeding truck and then complain about the truck hitting you....<><....
I do. In Mass the pedestrian has the right of way no matter how stupid their personal choices
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP Ret View Post
And by the way, no issues with the way your ejector works, it is working correctly....<><....
You telling me I don't need to get Maura Healey involved in my pending consumer protections case? hahaha

Loving this new barrel. Put a cheap red dot on it to mess around and it's a pleasure. Scope just arrived and possibly cut down the barrel a touch and recrown it to 11 degrees.

Either way, having one frame with 4 calibers. Very nice indeed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page