Bad accuracy in a 22 Hornet H&R - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Default Bad accuracy in a 22 Hornet H&R

I have a 22 Hornet H&R Topper 58 but I cant get it to shoot good.

Accuracy is about 3-4 inch at 90 yards with 3 shots.

I cant see any pattern in how it hits.

It shoots just as bad with factory ammo as with reloaded.

My reloaded rounds are 8.00 grains Vihtavuori N110 behind a 45 grains Sierra bullet in Winchester cases primed by Winchester Small Rifle primers.

Scope is a brand new Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 that works well on other rifles, mounts are Lynx steel for Weaver, using original Weaverbase.

Please help me out on this one, can it be the fore end flexing..?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Bad accuracy in a 22 Hornet H&R

check the FAQ's for accuracy hints and try some different handloads, im sure you can find something to work.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

It's possible your older H&R M58 is made for .223" bullets instead of the current .224" size, wouldn't hurt to try some of those in your handloads. My NEF Handi shoots the 35gr Vmax with 12.5gr Hodgdon Lil'gun in Winchester brass very accurately.

Tim

http://www.midwaynorge.com/apps/epro...eItemID=600364

http://www.midwaynorge.com/apps/epro...eItemID=163371

http://www.midwaynorge.com/apps/epro...eItemID=666171

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

My rifle have serial no AU486XXX, is that old enough for the 223? - I have only tried different 224.

Hodgdon Lil'gun is not imported to Sweden, we only have Vihtavuori N110 and (discontinued) Norma 123.

Hornets are very rare here, due to shortage of suitable powder and very expensive factory ammo, about $1.00 - $3.50/each.

Even brass are rare but can be imported from the US, Norma doesn't make Hornet brass any longer - I try to use Winchester or RWS, the S&B doesn´t hold up to reload, old NOS Norma (if found) demand premium cost. Ten new Winchesters or RWS are $3.20, ten new Normas about $7.50 (if found).

About 2 lbs (1 kg) powder is $57 here, good for 1700 shots, bullets (SAKO) are $14 at 100.

Anyway, the Hornets are very economical compared to other centerfires, even a 50 rnd box of 22 rimfire are $4.30 theise days (CCI Standard).

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Your M58 was made in 1980, dunno if that's old enough, but if you can get the bullets, I'd give em a try since you've had no luck with the .224" bullets. Hornets are generally one of the more accurate Handi chamberings.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I have also heard that the Hornets are supposed to be very accurate, that's why I find it frustrating that I cant get this rifle to shoot straight.

Now I have read the Handi basics and I will try shooting it without the fore end and/or hold the rife as far back as possible with my left hand to see if this improve accuracy.

Thank you all for your input.

post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 PM

The NRA tested an H&R .22 Jet in the mid 1960s. It shot horrible groups but got a little better when they polished the bore with Brobst Bore Paste. I have also seen an older H&R barrel that had a tapered bore. The rifling was ok at the breech but about 6 inches from the muzzle the rifling disappeared.
Polishing your bore might improve the precision.
Be sure you are using the stubby little round nose bullets made specifically for the Hornet. The long spitzer bullets may not stabilize if you have 16" twist rifling.
I have pulled the bullets from . 22 WMR (rim fire magnum) ammo and substituted the Sierra 45 grain Hornet bullets and got much improved accuracy.
You might try seating them long against the rifling too.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 09:29 PM

I would really like to see you use some different powder. N110 is not the best choice in a Hornet. If that is the only powder you can get a hold of that is suitable for your Hornet, then try this; 45 grain bullet - starting load of N110 - 8.2 grains work up to 9.0 grains in .2 grain increments. This is in Winchester brass and using a SMALL PISTOL[/color] primer. If you only have small rifle primers, drop the starting load by 10% and work your way up in .2 grain increments, but do not exceed 8.2 grains. If you can not find at least a decent load (under 1.5 MOA) after that; you probably have a problem with the gun. I got the above information out of the Speer Manual #14. Good Luck to You

BTW I have found that N133 shoots great out of all my 223 Remington rifles with the exception of my H&R 223 Ultra. I am going to experiment with some slower burning powders there, but have not a chance to yet.

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to billy_56081

Thats too bad they don't have Lil Gun available in Sweden. Also get a Lee factory crimp die that helped my accuracy quite a bit. I think the Little thin hornet cases don't grip the bullet very tightly.

99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 AM

Be sure to check your muzzle for nicks and dings; if any, maybe re-crown it. Also, I will be sending you a pm in the interest of international relations!! I'm a hornet fan, and my son and I enjoy Swedish Mausers, so maybe I can send you some brass, or other non-controlled "goodies".
Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page