Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh?

I had to laugh when I heard a radio ad for Briggs & Stratton claiming how well they start up and run. It sure seems like the truth to me when I compare it to my Tecumseh vs. Briggs experience.

Both are good, but I do prefer Briggs.

In any case, it's a good idea to have a can of aerosol starting fluid available for these small engines.

Safety first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton or Tecumseh?

I have preferred B&S over the years. Tecumseh was ressurrected for a while by Sears and they used them for quite a time ..replacement parts are "gold"..pricewise.
From what I understand, Tecumseh is now moribund.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
― Alexandre Dumas-fils
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:00 PM

Gun Cabinet

err UHHH KAWASAKI! Seriously, tecumseh used to be a good un but thats dating me a a bit !

Sadly Ive found honda and Kawasaki , hold up better, but are pricing themselves to the point that a good B&S sounds better!

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results means you are either insane or are making a New Years resolution.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM
TM7

While in the business using some small engines we use to call Tecumseh, te com sheits. I've seen a few with side cases blown out by broken rods, also burned off cams, not particularly good starters in my opinion. B & S were Ok especially the commercial models when they use to use bearings on both sides of the crank and iron cylinder sleeves. My favorite were the older Kohlers singles and doubles which were pretty industructible; so were some of the Wisconsins. I've seen some Robins that really purred. Honda and Kawas are pretty good and quiet for aluminum engines, and I guess that is what we are going with these days.

..TM7
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM

I will concur with TM on his engine appraisal. One thing that gave me fits with the old Tecumsehs is the need to loosen & remove head bolts just to get to the flywheel...when all one may need to do is sandpaper the flywheel.

“The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
― Alexandre Dumas-fils
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
I had to laugh when I heard a radio ad for Briggs & Stratton claiming how well they start up and run. It sure seems like the truth to me when I compare it to my Tecumseh vs. Briggs experience.

Both are good, but I do prefer Briggs.

In any case, it's a good idea to have a can of aerosol starting fluid available for these small engines.
I'll take B&S over Tecumseh.

Any Republican not favoring Donald Trump should resign from office and become a Democrat.

"Newt G."
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:00 PM

I have had several Tecumseh engines on mowers and 1 mini bike. Still have the mini bike motor and it runs great after 35 years of working through my kids and their kids. I have hooked it up to pumps and other things just for the fun of it. I guess its nostalgia but its way behind the times in design.

Briggs and Stratton has come a long way baby. Great engines if oil is changed religiously. For that matter make sure anything you buy mower wise has the changeable oil filter and change oil according to instructions. They have all been great, the Briggs engines, no troubles and I use my riding mower 2-3 times per week in season.

I have a brother that has a commercial landscape business and mowing is a great deal of his operation. He has 12 mowing teams running all the time in season. He says for the non commercial operations Briggs is just fine but they will not hold up as well as TORO Mowers with Kohler engines or Honda with Honda Engines. He say now there many are commercial grade mowers and they are real good but none that last run the Briggs Engines.He said never buy one of any make without the filter that is changeable. He has years of doing that stuff and he says if yard is big enough go with zero radius for speed and a good engine such as Kohler.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM

My mother-in-law gave us a Sears’s lawn mower that had a Tecumseh engine on it when she moved into a smaller place. I did not like it at all.

I have high pressure, pressure washer with a Honda motor on it. It is a very reliable. My current lawn mower has a B&S electronic ignition motor on it, and I believe the motor will outlive the other components of the mower. Forty years ago I bought a small generator from Sears. It was powered by a B&S motor. We would lose out power during major snow storms and it proved to be reliable. When I bought a new one I passed it to my father-in-law. He cranks it up a couple times a year to make sure it will run.

I worked a lot on wildfires the first 22-years of my career. A fair share of that pumping water from a skid mounted unit on a pickup or a truck. When it came time to pump water reliability and endurance was critical. The Forest Service maintained a testing lab that identified equipment that had qualified by passing a series of test. In my career I never encountered a small engine driven pump using a Tecumseh engine. The primary engines were B&S and Wisconsin.
http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdf/09511805.pdf

Pumps on large engines are normally P.T.O. driven.

The majority of skid mounted fire pumps I see now days are Honda.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps. Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:46 PM

if i had to do the repairs i wouldn t even bring a tecumseh home if you gave it to me
with the condition that i had to use it an fix it..i used briggs up to 14 an kohlar after bthey needed bigger motors.. a briggs motor will last a lifetime for a homeowner ...if he keeps maintenance up on it. clean air clean oil..then after 10 yr..replace the plastics an rubber in the motor..one year i used an homeowner briggs for 35 lawns a week..big lawns ..it took lubricating the spindles 2 times a week but that ole cheap murry is still running..
then i got a ztr exmark lazor,,an hit the easy rd.. slim tough machine
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 PM

B&S over Tecumseh anytime however I bought a Honda powered lawnmower which is advertised as a one pull starter. I thought, yep, sure it will, more BS!!

Low and behold, that sucker did it right from the start and has been doing it since.

Kudos !!

aka BBF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page