.22 Prices - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Default .22 Prices

Farm & Fleet hasn't had .22s forever. I went in there today and they had several brands. Eley and CCI were mostly 50@ $10.99. However, RWS Target rifle were marked down to $5.99 and American Eagle were 40@ $3.49.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 AM

I found some 333 bulk packs on sale in Sevierville TN before Christmas. I paid about 17$/box. They are starting to shop up in more volume in my area but the price still seems inflated. Looking forward to a significant drop so that I can get the kids behind the 22's.

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:16 AM

From littlecanoe:
Quote:
I found some 333 bulk packs on sale in Sevierville TN before Christmas. I paid about 17$/box. They are starting to shop up in more volume in my area but the price still seems inflated. Looking forward to a significant drop so that I can get the kids behind the 22's.
Don't know what you are waiting for. I remember buying 500 rd. Remington bricks for $5.00 in 1968 or so when I was in Jr. High. Putting that into an inflation calculator makes that brick almost $35. today. So todays prices really are not bad. I expect to ever see $5.00 bricks again.
GuzziJohn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 AM

I went to a big bass pro shop while traveling recently. No 22s on the shelf. Plenty of other ammo.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:37 AM

Why do they keep producing expensive target ammo? Obviously the available supply is more than the demand so why not switch over production to what people want to buy? My guess would be profit margin.

And it's not just target ammo, it's also premium hunting ammo. Seems like everytime I turn around there's an announcement of some new super duper hunting round! It certainly doesn't take some exotic new load to kill a squirrel or a rabbit, so why tie up production by making runs of this stuff! Yes, there is a market for exotic ammo, but it's limited. However, when a company can make as much money off a box or two of specialty rounds as they can make off of a brick or more of standard ammo which do you think they will push!

Final thought: This .22 ammo thing has been going on for 8 years! And production still can't meet demand? That's baloney - they just don't WANT to totally catch up to the demand.

Last edited by spruce; 02-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Guzzi

I bought 3 boxes. I'm selective with purchases. Just a few months ago I could reload 9mm cheaper than buying .22. I'll be a buyer at 25-30/box of 500 unless the price doesn't drop. I still can't find bulk in my local stores.

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Guzzi

I bought 3 boxes. I'm selective with purchases. Just a few months ago I could reload 9mm cheaper than buying .22. I'll be a buyer at 25-30/box of 500 unless the price doesn't drop. I still can't find bulk in my local stores.

lc

That answers my question that was floating in my mind. I was wondering whether it was cheaper to reload than buy 22s. Was that based on pure lead bullet costs or jacketed?
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Why do they keep producing expensive target ammo? .
Variety is the spice of life.
Henry Ford found out same crap, same pile eventually comes back to bite you in the butt.

RR
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:58 AM

I understand why they produce it - because some people want it! My question is why do they produce it in excess of demand instead of producing what many more people want?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I understand why they produce it - because some people want it! My question is why do they produce it in excess of demand instead of producing what many more people want?
When they have a production run, they have to produce a minimum set amount unless some one pays a huge amount for a lessor run.
A Winchester person told me this at a NRA show when I asked why they did not produce 50AE; not a big enough demand to justify a run.
The market is there or they would not produce them.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page