Idaho boy injured and his dog killed by an anti coyote bomb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Scary scenario. One sad family's story to bring it to the Public's attention. Must be on the order of uncleared mine fields abandoned after war. Women, youth, and domesticated animals are the unintentional recipients.

Targeted species eradication devices of this nature, imo, should never be used near housing as the devices are never going to be 100% fool proof. Every adolescent and teenage boy with a thirst for the outdoors, and that would be a number in the millions, is going to investigate the woods near their homes. Finding something in the woods of an "unusual character" is going to be investigated. The family dog is going to investigate too. A Boy and His Dog (you know)...

Growing up near Florida phosphate mining in the 50's, where TNT was used to open pits, I remember the daily TV advertising with regard to Blasting Caps showing us types that were used, basically what they looked like, and to Not Touch - Get away - Tell an Adult. These ads and their message were the precursors to NRA's Eddie Eagle campaign for children's gun safety.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

That's interesting! Thanks! I remember the blasting caps ads. They worked! We kids were askeered of anything that looked like them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm surprised these are even legal, and equally surprised someone would risk the liability of setting them out.

These things are a boobytrap, plain and simple - just as dangerous to innocent people and animals as they are to their intended target.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM

I recall the railroad torpedoes, we would find them on occasion and mess with them.
In fireworks training classes we were encouraged to be out the next morning after a shoot to pick up the unexploded ordinance before the kids who watched the show the night got there, cause that's what we did when we were their age!

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM
TM7

Who? Who in their right mind would be spewing cyanide bombs around the country side; or allow it?

...TM7
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:13 AM

When I moved to the southern Rocky Mountains in 1982 they still used cyanide bombs for coyote controll. They would place them under a bush and tie a warning on the bust. But we all knew not to mess with them. Soon after that they outlawed their use.

But just like the ww2 torpedo our divers found off the coast of Annette island, ak I'm sure there are probably a few cynadine bombs left in the high desert of the western states.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Howdy! I remember back in the 1960's or maybe earlier I would see signs on gates saying that those cyanide bombs were on the property for coyote control. Also, I remember those Saturday morning videos about the blasting caps. Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page