Too much of a green thing. - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM

I'll be in favor of wind turbines when they start putting them on top of buildings in the cities. Rural folks have historically lost their properties to take the timber, to extract the coal, to build dams for hydro-electric plants, to pump out natural gas and, now, to erect wind turbines. Where does that electricity go? To the cities. People who have to tolerate wind farms in their back yards get no benefit from them, just the loss of their land and the constant whine of the blades. Then, the urban folks truck out their solid waste to dump it on the rural folks and pass ordinances to prohibit gas and oil drilling in, or under, urban areas. There is a very real double standard at work.

"I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul."
Invictus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Banned

There always has been-- always will be. Remember NIMBY.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillkickin View Post
I'll be in favor of wind turbines when they start putting them on top of buildings in the cities. Rural folks have historically lost their properties to take the timber, to extract the coal, to build dams for hydro-electric plants, to pump out natural gas and, now, to erect wind turbines. Where does that electricity go? To the cities. People who have to tolerate wind farms in their back yards get no benefit from them, just the loss of their land and the constant whine of the blades. Then, the urban folks truck out their solid waste to dump it on the rural folks and pass ordinances to prohibit gas and oil drilling in, or under, urban areas. There is a very real double standard at work.
He is right or they will move in a drilling rig then put a pump jack in your front yard. That doesn't happen in the big cities. Or they take your land and put a county landfill next to your place. Cities crap all over rural.

Here we go again the Hunger Games. Where the Capital lived in rediculous opulence. And the poor starving Districts were forced to support that, or die. The Capital slaughtered their children once a year as a reminder.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
You should see them over by Big Spings on top of the Caprock. I bet there is 200 of them up there.
Head east or north of Big Spring and the **** things are everywhere. They may be to the south also but it's been sometime since I've been in that area. They actually don't take up a lot of ground space and you can continue to farm or ranch with no problems. They provide a reliable income to the landowner also. More so than dryland farming or ranching in this neck of the bushes. Of course they are ugly and make some noise but money in your pocket alleviates that somewhat. I wouldn't mind having a few of them churning out nickles and dimes around the clock while I was watching the cows grazing around them or the cotton blooming.

PS: When did they move Big Spring close to the cap?

Last edited by oldandslow; 03-20-2017 at 08:21 PM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
A Malfunctioning, Flaming, Wind Turbine is Really Quite Beautiful.
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/a-malfunct...uit-1784760987

I have nothing against these turbines.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:11 AM

"I have nothing against these turbines."

How close is the nearest one to where you live?
Within a quarter to half mile of one, you are serenaded with a LOUD "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" sound of the moving blades that you can hear INSIDE your house, constantly. If the location is where winter temperatures go below freezing, there must be a protected "no go" zone around them to prevent people from being hit by ice, weighing hundreds of pounds, being thrown from the moving blades. The greeenie leftists won't tell you about all the birds that get sucked into the blades and killed. And hundreds of acres of trees are sometimes lost for the life of the turbine in order to prevent interference with the wind. The leftist turbine promoters won't tell you that either. Are all the negatives worth it to provide a few measly, single digit percent of the demand for electricity? The only reason they exist is because there are a few corporations that can make a profit at it, but only because of the huge government subsidies. Remove the tax payer handout and it's a losing proposition for everybody, not just the rural folks who are stomped on in the process.

"I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul."
Invictus
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillkickin View Post
"I have nothing against these turbines."

How close is the nearest one to where you live?
Within a quarter to half mile of one, you are serenaded with a LOUD "whoosh-whoosh-whoosh" sound of the moving blades that you can hear INSIDE your house, constantly. If the location is where winter temperatures go below freezing, there must be a protected "no go" zone around them to prevent people from being hit by ice, weighing hundreds of pounds, being thrown from the moving blades. The greeenie leftists won't tell you about all the birds that get sucked into the blades and killed. And hundreds of acres of trees are sometimes lost for the life of the turbine in order to prevent interference with the wind. The leftist turbine promoters won't tell you that either. Are all the negatives worth it to provide a few measly, single digit percent of the demand for electricity? The only reason they exist is because there are a few corporations that can make a profit at it, but only because of the huge government subsidies. Remove the tax payer handout and it's a losing proposition for everybody, not just the rural folks who are stomped on in the process.
Okay, wind turbines may not be the best thing anywhere but are great in places like Kansas. Kansas now produces a 1/4 of it's power from wind and is now producing the least costly power. They will also be WAY CHEAPER to dismantle when old compared to a nuke plant. The modern big turbines are quite quiet, besides they are not in populated areas in KS. Don't know currently but about 10 years ago landowners were getting $8,000 a year per turbine.
Don't know about the ice thing but never have heard of it nor have I heard about any cattle being hurt or killed and they are all around the towers in locations here. Bird deaths are an old myth. Very easy to monitor since you just have to look for the number of dead birds and they are not to be found and Kansas is in a major flyway. No tree deaths around here as there are not many trees, so none in the way.
Apparently conservatism equals no progress.
GuzziJohn
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 AM

They don't suck anything. The wind pushes the blades around and they really don't move that fast. It's a pretty slow, near sighted bird that would fly into one of the blades.There are 13 of the largest made about 2 1/4 miles southeast of me. They are shut down when the wind gets high and I've watched it being done. It's not like shutting down a windmill. It takes a few minutes to do. One sits very close to the highway and I've stopped and listened to to it as it's turning. It does make a discernible whoosh sound as every blade comes near the ground. In the car with the windows rolled up the sound wasn't audible. My wife's hearing is much more acute than mine and she couldn't hear it either. There are no dead birds lying around them either. They are part of progress, sorta like these time wasting computers we are sitting at and arguing their merits and drawbacks.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM

From argent11:
Quote:
Those solar farms sure do take up a lot of acreage. I've seen people roof their house with those solar panels with out checking on the local weather pattern history. First sizable hail storm they are history. This goes for the farms also, we have great sunlight out here but the destructive hail storms are becoming more frequent. I saw one over by Big Springs that had a fold over set up where during a storm alert heavy vinyl protection covers would fold out from underneath.

High winds are another problem and we sure get that also. If the wind can skin off a metal roof it wouldn't
have any problem doing that with those panels. If it couldn't lift them up it will just tear them to pieces.
How much acreage does a typical coal mine, coal fired plant, oil refinery, intrstructure to support it all take?
Concerning hail. Current panels are at least as resistant to hail damage as a typical roof. If they end up damaged you file an insurance claim have repairs made and go on with life just like if it had been roof damage.

Why are conservatives as a whole so against going green? More the green energy the less we support ME countries.
GuzziJohn
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM

Victor3, that last line was a reminder. 15 or 20 years ago, Columbia Gas here in Ohio came out with a statement. Because we had such a mild winter, usage of natural gas for home heating was way down. So, they said they were going to raise rates, to make up the difference. There was such an outrage from the public, utility's commission decided against it. Looks like in the summer when air conditioning and refrigerators/freezers are running the most, electricity will cost more, even thou there is a glut. Sometimes. Looks like the coal plants and nuclear are still more dependable and constant. They can make the same amount of electricity weather it's cloudy or windy, sun shining or calm. But since the utility company's pretty much have us by the short hairs, they'll do what they want. gypsyman

We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!! Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page