Too much of a green thing. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Default Too much of a green thing.

California's solar power glut...

http://www.pe.com/articles/governmen...-produced.html

Reading between the lines (see the last line of the article) reveals how they're planning to soak the little guy to make up for their waste...

"Meanwhile, utilities are moving toward time-of-use pricing for home electricity customers."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM

I see the article as short-sighted. Battery technology for use with solar power has advanced to the point where Hawaii gets a very significant part of its electricity from solar by day, and solar stored in batteries by night.

The proximity of sunny desert and the large populations of southern California are a natural fit, and with a few refinements that can be made over time, it is possible that they will get most of their electricity from solar+batteries.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Those solar farms sure do take up a lot of acreage. I've seen people roof their house with those solar panels with out checking on the local weather pattern history. First sizable hail storm they are history. This goes for the farms also, we have great sunlight out here but the destructive hail storms are becoming more frequent. I saw one over by Big Springs that had a fold over set up where during a storm alert heavy vinyl protection covers would fold out from underneath.

High winds are another problem and we sure get that also. If the wind can skin off a metal roof it wouldn't
have any problem doing that with those panels. If it couldn't lift them up it will just tear them to pieces.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-20-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

The only problem with that is that this stuff actually works and it's reliable.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
The only problem with that is that this stuff actually works and it's reliable.
The technology has improved since the days I had to work on that stuff. It had a lot of drawbacks early on, mostly battery and rectifier related.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:38 PM

It's still got plenty of bugs in it, but the advances have been amazing. I expect the refinement to continue to the point where it has a solid niche in energy production.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Another thing that I'd like to see is putting a stop to the retreat from coal. Coal has a niche, and the technologies for using it are better and cleaner than ever.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
Another thing that I'd like to see is putting a stop to the retreat from coal. Coal has a niche, and the technologies for using it are better and cleaner than ever.
On the same page there Conan. Some grades of coal are very clean burning almost like natural gas.
Around here it's the wind farms we have plenty of wind lol. Liberals think they are unsightly.
I don't, not anymore than the windmills in Holland are.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM

You should see central Illinois ! I drive thru it regularly and the number of wind generators has exploded in recent years. They must be working. The last time I read about them (which has been a while), they cost a million bucks each. About ten years ago, most of them hardly ever seemed to be running. Now they all seem to be running most of the time. That's a flat area that's all farming. It's just miles and miles of miles and miles. The people who live there evidently don't care what their surroundings look like. It's ugly by day naturally. The wind generators didn't make it any uglier, just different. At night the place looks weird because of all the flashing red lights on top of the generators.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:49 PM

You should see them over by Big Spings on top of the Caprock. I bet there is 200 of them up there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page