DWI check points. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Default DWI check points.

We came up on one of these last night coming back from Carlsbad. This time we were in the Crown Victoria.
The police had people pulled over to the side talking to them and searching some of them.When the cop came up to my window he was very polite and introduced himself, and only asked where we were coming from. I told him and he told another officer standing there they're ok just an older couple headed home, then they waved us through.

As we headed off Niska looked at me and said "who is he calling old" lol. I said honey that's why I should do
the talking. Then she said that if we had not been in this "old codger car" he wouldn't have thought we looked old. I replied, well maybe that's a good thing that we were in this old codger car.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I am torn between freedom and the Police State. On the one hand, I want the drunk drivers off of the roads. On the other, I find it frightful that police can establish a waypoint for just about anything, calling it "DWI" and run everyone through the proverbial ringer.

How effective are these and even if the number are highly effective, that still does not offset the continuation down the Police State rabbit hole.
post #3 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
I am torn between freedom and the Police State. On the one hand, I want the drunk drivers off of the roads. On the other, I find it frightful that police can establish a waypoint for just about anything, calling it "DWI" and run everyone through the proverbial ringer.

How effective are these and even if the number are highly effective, that still does not offset the continuation down the Police State rabbit hole.
+, I am also but lean toward freedom at the expense of safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:09 AM

I agree with the other posters to a certain extent. Yes its a pain in the but to get pulled over for nothing and that's what they find with me. Thing is theres LOTS of drinkers on the road. Especially Friday and Saturday night. Its those idiots you should be angry with not the police. In a perfect world we wouldn't need sobriety checks. Heck in a perfect world we wouldn't need police at all. But this is far from a perfect world. Bottom line is they might be pulling the drunken idiot off the road that would have killed your children a hour from now if they wouldn't have been there. I live in real rural area and have never seen a sobriety check on the roads here. But have been pulled over by a police officer that suspected I was. Even times when it happened that I felt I gave no reason what so ever for being pulled over. I just keep my mouth shut and stay polite with them. there doing there job.

I kind of consider it payback for all the times I did drive drunk when I was young. As to it being an attack on my freedom. I see nothing in the constitution that says you have the right to even drive. Its a privilege not a right. Being a privilege it can be taken away. Bottom line is if it was an assault on your freedom I'm sure the practice would have been stopped years ago. If you are following the laws you are suppose to be following you have nothing to fear from a road side stop. Id be more apt to thank the tropper that's out there in the dark, cold, rain, snow ect doing his job. The job WE hired him to do. Only problem I have with the drunk driving and drug driving laws is there to lax. Most get a slap on the hand, maybe a fine and a suspended jail sentence. I say make it mandatory that if you've drank enough to legally be under the influence and get caught driving you should spend a month in jail and loose your driving privilege for a year. NO WORK PERMIT NO DRIVING PERIOD! Second offense a year in jail and you loose your licience for LIFE! No fancy lawyer getting it reduced either. Id bet many who drive after drinking would reconsider if that was the case. Your still not going to stop them all but a year in jail would sure adjust some bad attitudes.

sixgun addict
post #5 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
We came up on one of these last night coming back from Carlsbad. This time we were in the Crown Victoria.
The police had people pulled over to the side talking to them and searching some of them.When the cop came up to my window he was very polite and introduced himself, and only asked where we were coming from. I told him and he told another officer standing there they're ok just an older couple headed home, then they waved us through.

As we headed off Niska looked at me and said "who is he calling old" lol. I said honey that's why I should do
the talking. Then she said that if we had not been in this "old codger car" he wouldn't have thought we looked old. I replied, well maybe that's a good thing that we were in this old codger car.

The cop was obviously a rookie. A more experienced person would have said "Look! Two old hippies driving a land yacht big enough to store four bales of pot in the trunk! Get the dogs!"

(Niska needs to learn that the beauty of a woman is determined by her mind and not age. Also, age is relative. When I was 20, 30 seemed old.)
post #6 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post
I agree with the other posters to a certain extent. Yes its a pain in the but to get pulled over for nothing and that's what they find with me. Thing is theres LOTS of drinkers on the road. Especially Friday and Saturday night. Its those idiots you should be angry with not the police. In a perfect world we wouldn't need sobriety checks. Heck in a perfect world we wouldn't need police at all. But this is far from a perfect world. Bottom line is they might be pulling the drunken idiot off the road that would have killed your children a hour from now if they wouldn't have been there. I live in real rural area and have never seen a sobriety check on the roads here. But have been pulled over by a police officer that suspected I was. Even times when it happened that I felt I gave no reason what so ever for being pulled over. I just keep my mouth shut and stay polite with them. there doing there job.

I kind of consider it payback for all the times I did drive drunk when I was young. As to it being an attack on my freedom. I see nothing in the constitution that says you have the right to even drive. Its a privilege not a right. Being a privilege it can be taken away. Bottom line is if it was an assault on your freedom I'm sure the practice would have been stopped years ago. If you are following the laws you are suppose to be following you have nothing to fear from a road side stop. Id be more apt to thank the tropper that's out there in the dark, cold, rain, snow ect doing his job. The job WE hired him to do. Only problem I have with the drunk driving and drug driving laws is there to lax. Most get a slap on the hand, maybe a fine and a suspended jail sentence. I say make it mandatory that if you've drank enough to legally be under the influence and get caught driving you should spend a month in jail and loose your driving privilege for a year. NO WORK PERMIT NO DRIVING PERIOD! Second offense a year in jail and you loose your licience for LIFE! No fancy lawyer getting it reduced either. Id bet many who drive after drinking would reconsider if that was the case. Your still not going to stop them all but a year in jail would sure adjust some bad attitudes.
I agree with all of this post.

democrats are in favor of the wholesale slaughter of God's most precious; unborn babies.
post #7 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Really?

I fail to see how my operation of a motor vehicle on a public way (which I pay for with taxes) is probable cause for a traffic stop. I carry the business card of my friend who is a Superior Court Judge clipped to the sun visor and have on one or more occasions simply said," You need to call this woman." It has always resulted in "Have a good night, sir." Of course it helped that I was also stone cold sober! Happy Easter to those of that persuasion!

Laager Boers, laager!
post #8 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd smale View Post

Good post. I like the Swedish (for example) laws that treat driving under practically any influence of alcohol to be considered a crime that is treated as a serious danger to safety. Punishments are very harsh regardless of whether there is a collision. I think that's the right approach. I see the checkpoints as another "race to the bottom" tactic that punishes everyone for the conduct of a few. Better to deal harshly with drunk drivers and create a deterrent by doing so than to use the checkpoints.

That said, I believe that the use of the checkpoints has matured to the point where many of them are located intelligently in places where drunk driving is a problem, and that in some that I'm familiar with, are set up early so that people going drinking in a popular bar area will see the checkpoint when they're entering the area, and hopefully adjust their behavior accordingly.
post #9 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

There wasn't anything in the car and we had not been drinking. They were shining their flashlights through the windows they didn't see anything. We weren't worth their time and they knew it. A couple of Pepsi's in the cup holders was all. He did ask Niska how are doing this evening ma'am? She said, I'm doing fine thank you officer. With her heavy accent he did kinda look at her funny. Heck we're used to shakedowns and roadblocks we have been to Poland before.
post #10 of 160 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

They are getting smarter though, I noticed up the road before you got to the check point they had two cop cars parked in the darkness. In case someone saw all the lights and tried to turn around and get out of there.
It was quite a set up though, they had a bunch of cops there and had put up road cones. Perhaps they were
looking for someone.

Last edited by Argent11; 04-16-2017 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page