Graybeard Outdoors banner

Glasses on the cheap

766 views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  jparedes 
#1 ·
I want to try one of the mail order eye glasses stores and I'm wondering if you've tried any yet. Also, what's the cheapest and easiest way to get your prescription including interpupillary distance?

#2 ·
I get my eyes examined at walmart. buy my glasses there too.

#6 ·
6 months ago I went to the optometrician, and then took the Rx to one of the big name glasses shops: They asked $200 for the frames and $150 for the lenses....that was co-pay on the insurance. I balked off and went back home where my daughter told me about this internet site, Zen Optical (??). Here you give them your Rx and your distance between pupils, you choose your frames, and 2 weeks latter you get your glasses: Grand Total $25.00

#14 ·
In some cases the optometrist will insist on fitting some people with mono vision contacts. I did wear gas perms for decades but now I was put into to the monos for a couple of years now. I have glasses but don't ever wear them much. Mono really took some getting used to some people can't ever get the hang of them. No more bifocals though.

#15 ·
Some of the "cool" glasses like my motorcycle goggle glasses came with a clear film you must remove (if you don't look close you don't notice it,) you just wonder why its blurry. So check for the "protective film" before you get too wound up. I was about to email my disappointment when I noticed the peel off layer.... thejanitor

#16 ·
Well I just checked out Zenni and they will only sell you their lenses in their frame and will not replace a lens.
I dealt with a national eye wear company with a similar policy and will never go back to anyone who will not put lenses in the frames I send them , plus the glasses got were way out of spec when I had a optician check them later but they would not fix the problem.

#17 ·
Got the new Zenni's in the mail this morning. I'm liking them. The lenses are a little bigger than my regular glasses, so there's a little adjustment to get used to but frankly, I've paid a lot more and gotten a lot less. So, with only a few hours wearing them today.....I'll say their pretty darn good. I hope I feel that way in a week or so but right now I'm pleased. This is the first time I've had a pair of prescription sunglasses....and polarized at that.... I tried contacts...never could get them right....went back to glasses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.