Does anyone make a Saddle ring to install on a Marlin 336? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Default Does anyone make a Saddle ring to install on a Marlin 336?

I would like it for a single point sling attachement while hunting to keep the rifle in front of me. Especially when I need my hands traveling through thick brush.

Anyone try this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Does anyone make a Saddle ring to install on a Marlin 336?

http://www.gun-parts.com/marlin/

-WH-

"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

Check Brownells.
They may.
I think I have seen thier banner on the top once or twice on this site, But I could be wrong.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 PM

Ridge Runner is your 336 a newer one with a cross bolt safety? If it is you can get a Ludwig safety filler and drill & tap the filler for a saddle ring that can easily be reverted back to stock configuration. Here is a picture of my 1895G

If you have a pre-safety you will will need to drill & tap the receiver like my 1969 336 Texan model, should be able to find a Marlin ring on the auction sites.

________
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Which type of sling are you attaching to the ring? Sure is handy on the M4 and a tactical pump; comes up quick too. But they're normally mounted on the stock tube. It seems like the ring would bring the sling up in your face, but I love the idea.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvo
Ridge Runner is your 336 a newer one with a cross bolt safety? If it is you can get a Ludwig safety filler and drill & tap the filler for a saddle ring that can easily be reverted back to stock configuration. Here is a picture of my 1895G

If you have a pre-safety you will will need to drill & tap the receiver like my 1969 336 Texan model, should be able to find a Marlin ring on the auction sites.

It is a new one with a cross bolt safety. How do I drill and tap it ???
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamNelson
Which type of sling are you attaching to the ring? Sure is handy on the M4 and a tactical pump; comes up quick too. But they're normally mounted on the stock tube. It seems like the ring would bring the sling up in your face, but I love the idea.
I do not know which one yet. I wanted something that would keep it high and close to my chest so my hands and arms would be free as I am traveling through thick brush.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 09:33 PM

Got a saddle ring '92 at home I'm going to connect a sling to and see how she feels after work. I would think a larger ring on a swivel would give you lots of room to play with. I like mine higher if its slung in front of my arm/body. Lower if its underarm.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 PM

[I wanted something that would keep it high and close to my chest so my hands and arms would be free as I am traveling through thick brush.]

A clamp-on QD sling swivel eye can be installed as forward on the mag tube as possible, and another QD eye that has a machine screw base meant for attachment through wood boltgun forends can be altered to replace the front screw in the 336's bottom metal floorplate, at the bottom front of the receiver.

A loose loop strung from them both, with enough slack to grab the rifle for pointing/aiming, should give you the carry you desire, as it once did me.

A third QD eye, installed in the normal buttstock position, makes many slinging variations possible.

The answer to the question of your OP, however, is "Yes".
His handle is "Junior 1942", over on the cast boolits forum - and he made a sling system using a saddle ring.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 PM

Here is a good sling.
http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

________
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page