Scored a 1895SS..... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Default Scored a 1895SS.....

Traded into '96 1885ss. Had all sorts of problems chambering a round, few mins on the internet and it was determined the extractor was too tight, some bending with a screw driver and she is as smooth as can be! Sighted it in at 50 yards with the hornady 325gr ftx and most rounds touched. I decided to shoot some buffalo bore 405gr JFN which I intend to use in Quebec on bear in June. The rounds hit almost 6" higher than the hornady and the recoil is INTENSE! Managed to get a nice 3 shot group but my fingers were tingling and my arm was numb after firing the group. A limb saver prefit pad is going to be needed! The rifle has some beautiful wood on the forearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 12:30 PM

Nice rifle! I also own an 1895SS made in '96. No fun off the bench with heavy loads. My current load is a 300 grain TSX behind IMR 4198 for an average velocity of 2186 fps. Good luck on the bear hunt.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM

I just grabbed up an unfired 1895SS from 1990, beautiful rifle and scoped lIke yours. Mine has great wood with a bit of fiddleback but is uncheckered, not sure what that means but recoil pad looks right and asIde from a couple safe dings all looks unused. I can tell by lack of wear on top of hammer and bolt that this hasn't been cycled much and it's action is super smooth. Can't wait to try it with some of my loads, 405 grain with 12.5 Trailboss, 405 with moderate H322 and 350 gr jacketed with I4064 and Varget. The loads shot well from a CVA rifle so hopefully will be good in the Microgroove barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:19 AM

Question

Question: SS doesn't mean Stainless Steel here, what does it mean?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM

Means 'safety sporter' or something close to that. They introduced the goofy button safety on it...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:31 AM

Nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page