Barrel measurment ??? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Default Barrel measurment ???

How would you go about measureing the barrel length of a crack barrel shotgun? Basically to get an exact measurement to indicate legallity lol! I ask because I picked one up that had been cut down to 18in. When I say 18in., it is litterally 18in!!!! I know 18 is legal, but I want to be sure about the measurement in this case.

Also, I would like to find out if I can change the barrel on this thing, and if so, can it be a pistol cal. barrel? .357 for example?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet
Default Re: Barrel measurment ???

We'd need to know what it is first since you didn't mention it before barrel swapping is done! ??? I think shotgun barrels are measured from the breech face to the muzzle.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, you got me there!

It is either a Pardner or a topper. It has been a while since I have picked it up. I will have to check on that.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Two common ways are close the action, insert cleaning rod to bottom out on breech face and mark it at the muzzle end where it exits the barrel, remove and measure. Second way for a break open action is to just measure the barrel from breech end to muzzle end. It is always a good thing to do to leave a little extra for the Gov't. An extra 1/16" to 1/8" to the finished barrel is a comfort to me. Just to make up for any differnece in measuring instruments or methods....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

That is pretty much how I thought it was done. I wanted to double check because when you measure it (eigher method) you come up with 18" on the money! No room to play, but there is no denying that it is 18". Still makes me nervous. lol
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM

Look at it this way, if you use it to commit a crime they will proably charge you with a short barrel. If you never do anything wrong with it and don't draw attention to yourself you are most likely OK....<><....

"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Hello evidrine:
Just a suggestion, if it worries you, you can have the bbl. peened and probably get a1/16 or 1/8 inch more to the overall length. It may make you feel better about it. Just a thought.
HM
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP
Two common ways are close the action, insert cleaning rod to bottom out on breech face and mark it at the muzzle end where it exits the barrel, remove and measure. Second way for a break open action is to just measure the barrel from breech end to muzzle end. It is always a good thing to do to leave a little extra for the Gov't. An extra 1/16" to 1/8" to the finished barrel is a comfort to me. Just to make up for any differnece in measureing instrements or methods....<><....
Exactly correct, This is where some confusion is.. some say 16.5 for a rifled barrel and 18.5 for a smooth bore. Well that extra .5 IS for FUDGE FACTOR!! The "law" states 16" for a rifled barrel and 18" for a smooth bore... :Little more is better

Personally I would do one of two things:
1) Weld a extension of some kind to the end of the barrel. (Must be perminant to be legal)
2) Destroy it

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwlongshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP
Two common ways are close the action, insert cleaning rod to bottom out on breech face and mark it at the muzzle end where it exits the barrel, remove and measure. Second way for a break open action is to just measure the barrel from breech end to muzzle end. It is always a good thing to do to leave a little extra for the Gov't. An extra 1/16" to 1/8" to the finished barrel is a comfort to me. Just to make up for any differnece in measureing instrements or methods....<><....
Exactly correct, This is where some confusion is.. some say 16.5 for a rifled barrel and 18.5 for a smooth bore. Well that extra .5 IS for FUDGE FACTOR!! The "law" states 16" for a rifled barrel and 18" for a smooth bore... :Little more is better

Personally I would do one of two things:
1) Weld a extension of some kind to the end of the barrel. (Must be perminant to be legal)
2) Destroy it

CW
3) Use it for a stub project.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I have been thinking that maybe having it fitted with a polychoke. Not sure if this would help, but is sure couldnt hurt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page