second hand Barrels for H&R shot gun - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Default second hand Barrels for H&R shot gun

Hello all,

I have an H&R 12 ga, cacxxxxx serial number, shotgun with a full choke and want a second barrel with a modified choke for slugs, and Squirrels. I can get these on ebay easy enough. Do I really have to have them fitted or was that just cya to make sure I don't blow my self up by trying to put a 45-70 on a shot gun frame. Now that H&R is closed I am going to have to do this my self if I am going to do it. I am a mechanical engineer with a machine shop so I am not afraid of making minor adjustments if needed. Does any one have any experience doing this? Please no nay-saying if you haven't tried it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:38 AM

Out of around a dozen H&Rs, I had one that needed fitting, and all it took was a little metal taken off the barrel latch shelf with a very fine file. All the rest, you can swap barrels back and forth like they were made to do it. Since you're an engineer and will no doubt want more details and a troubleshooting guide for all the details, I'd recommend that you read the Barrel Fitting write-up in the H&R FAQ in this section. It has a lot of excellent info that will help, and goes into as much detail as you could possibly want, but is still easy to understand, even for me.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

I have some barrels that just fit on one receiver and some that will fit several. The only one I had to fit was a 12 ga Trapper I, I had to add a shim to the pivot notch. Made it from a piece of beer can. No big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks gentlemen, Sounds like I will be getting a few barrels in the future. I typically don't fret the details till I can't figure out what is going on. I fixed the weak ejector on my H&R yesterday by placing a small mild steel block behind the ejector spring and got a good education on how the barrel end of the gun works as well. Off to stock carving. I like these kit guns.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:51 PM

Maybe others are luckier than me but I've got quite a few of these things and find it hit or miss on barrel swapping. Every once in a while I get one that locks up perfectly to a frame but more often they are too loose or won't close all the way. Sounds like you've got the skills necessary and as mentioned, the FAQs will give you all the details necessary to get it just right. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page