Finn Classic 512 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Default Finn Classic 512

Anyone own one? Looking for feedback, either good or bad as I would like to order one with a set of 9,3x74R barrels and a set of 12 gauge barrels. Not looking for comments about the Valmet or the Tikka 512.
For some reason these rifles are not very popular as I have only found one other person who owns one.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Finn Classic 512

Snow

Have you looked at the option of purchasing the Valmet shotgun (there are good deals on GB) then purchasing the 9.3x74r barrel set?

Doug
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Not interested. Owned a Valmet in the past and felt like a club. And I do not like the stocks.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM

What are the differences between the Finn Classic and the Valmet?
thanks
Doug
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Made by a different company. And the Tikka's have a more up to date stock profile (in my opinion) plus they got rid of all of those ugly white lined spacers. In addition they can be ordered with upgraded wood and left handed stocks. Never seen a Valmet with a left hand stock.
Besides, no reason to stay with a discontinued model where it is more difficult to find barrels or parts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Made by a different company. And the Tikka's have a more up to date stock profile (in my opinion) plus they got rid of all of those ugly white lined spacers. In addition they can be ordered with upgraded wood and left handed stocks. Never seen a Valmet with a left hand stock.
Besides, no reason to stay with a discontinued model where it is more difficult to find barrels or parts.
Made by a different company, yes. Also made of lower quality steel. (in my and many others opinions)

Valmet stocks work just fine for left handers. I'm LH and my 412's fit me very good. As for parts and bbls, are you saying the 512 parts and bbls no longer fit 412's? What did they change?

BTW, not all 412 stocks have white line spacers, you should check out more models.

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Why do you say they are made with lower quality steel? What steel was used with the Valmets and what steel is used for the Finn Classics? Have you shot the Finn Classic rifles?

Never said the barrels would not interchange. In fact, I have no idea. I am just trying to find accurate FIRST HAND information about the Finn Classic, which seems to be lacking. The Valmet I owned fit me "OK", but am pretty sure a stock designed from the get go with the proper cast for a lefty would fit even better. And the FC can be ordered with a lefty stock.
The appearance of the Finn Classic is much more appealing to me, modern stock design and I like the chrome finish. Own enough expensive doubles, looking for something powerful that will not break the bank and has a durable finish.
Not here to knock the Valmet, my interest is in feedback on the newer Finn Classic
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Why do you say they are made with lower quality steel? What steel was used with the Valmets and what steel is used for the Finn Classics? Have you shot the Finn Classic rifles?

Never said the barrels would not interchange. In fact, I have no idea. I am just trying to find accurate FIRST HAND information about the Finn Classic, which seems to be lacking. The Valmet I owned fit me "OK", but am pretty sure a stock designed from the get go with the proper cast for a lefty would fit even better. And the FC can be ordered with a lefty stock.
The appearance of the Finn Classic is much more appealing to me, modern stock design and I like the chrome finish. Own enough expensive doubles, looking for something powerful that will not break the bank and has a durable finish.
Not here to knock the Valmet, my interest is in feedback on the newer Finn Classic
Your comment about the 412 being obsolete and perhaps lacking in parts sounded to me like you knew something i didn't? But, now it sounds like that's not the case, as 512 parts and bbls always could be fit to the 412 in the past. SO, parts and bbls. should be no concern to anyone who buys a used 412... (they rarely need any parts anyway)

I use to be a Valmet distributor, and i sold a lot of custom bbls through my shop. My gunsmith always told me the 412's had the best steel he had ever seen in a firearm, but all that changed when Valmet sold the 412 design, and my over seas friends confirmed exactly that. They told me the new guns didn't hold up like the old ones. I consider that to be reliable info, as they and my gunsmith were folks i trusted.

I go to many of the same forums you go to, and i read the same 412/512 comments. Some of what i see posted about 412's is absolute BS, and every once in a while i do expose it. Most times i shake my head and let it pass. One of the biggest piles came from Mac, who post a lot, but doesn't always tell the truth.

I sure don't give a rip what anyone buys, but i do like to read accurate info on Valmets, as i do know something about them.

BTW, there were some 412's made in chrome too.

DM

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I do realize many mis truths are on the internet and that is where we have to muddle through and try to find accurate information. The more I try to find information about the FC the more frustrated I become because no one seems to own them, but many have opinions of them.
Maybe I should just order one and be done with it and then report on them first hand. Been hoping to find a used one but no luck there either.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 PM

That's a good idea... They sure aren't junk, so you should get decent service out of one. As for me, i don't think i'd pay the going price for one, considering the prices for used 412's.

One thing is forsure! If i was going to use a DR on a hunt, i don't care what kind of hunt i was on, i'd NEVER pick my 412 over my Chapuis.

DM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page