S&W 45c M&P - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Default S&W 45c M&P

anyone have the 45acp compact M&P. I think im going to buy one. About the size of my 23 glock and glock doesn't make a 45acp that size. Yes I know there close with the finger extensions but this gun is about a perfect size. If you have one how does it run?

sixgun addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 AM

Default Re: S&W 45c M&P

I do. I like the natural feel of the gun. As you know they come with 3 grip inserts so you can adjust to your needs. Being a 1911 fan the thumb safety is a natural for me. The weight is about right for me and the gun points quite naturally. Now the word of warning. The trigger is crap! Don't even bother to bring one home without picking up the Apex trigger conversion. No gun in the class of this should be allowed out with such a junk trigger. The Apex makes it into what the gun should have been from the beginning but at an extra cost. Still, it's the only way to go IMHO. Mine also came with a super super tight and rough chamber that I had to polish. Once these things were taken care of it's a fantastic piece. Although mine has been properly equipped for it's intended use as a bedside companion I can easily drop the TLR2G and use it for EDC and would be comfortable doing so but I have other things I use for that so it isn't necessary. The way I see it, for a 1911 fan at least, this is a great way to transition to a different style gun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone 10-31-14 018.JPG (1.93 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg iphone 10-31-14 018.JPG (1.93 MB, 14 views)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

ya, I have a 40 shield and a full sized 9mm m&p and plan on buying three apex kits when I pick this one up. Actually the triggers have improved on the other too after a 1000 or so rounds and some dry firing and both are better then any of my glocks but I still want to do them right. I would order the one without a safety though. I have a safety on my shield and don't think any combat gun should have a safety. When I do the apex on that shield it will come out. My full sized 9 came without one and shouldn't have. God issued me a safety.

sixgun addict
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM

In another thread BigEasy had commented on his having such a poor trigger and if memory serves he got rid of his for that reason rather than repair it. In that thread I mentioned the Massachusetts trigger. Local shop had gotten one of them by accident that was promptly returned. The standard trigger is less than acceptable for most. That thing was a joke.

As I implied before, I won't accept such a poor trigger on anything I own. That and the lack of a simple safety are why I won't own a Glock. A crisp trigger with short reset and a thumb safety have always been a given for acceptability for me and always will be.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Gun Cabinet

Hello Lloyd. As Old Syko mentioned, I did have one for a while. Wanted to like it, as it was about the same size as my Glock 26, but with .45 power. The notchy trigger made it hard to shoot well, and its mechanical accuracy from the bench was just not that great. Also failed to feed / eject a couple times. It also seemed more "jumpy" in my hand than my .45 Glock and small 1911's. Getting that last round into the magazine was the most difficult of any firearm I have used, and seating a full magazine in the gun with the slide already closed on a loaded chamber was very difficult.

I know a lot of guys like them, and maybe the triggers are better on todays production. I eventually sold mine, and stick to my Kimber ultra carry 1911, and Glock 26 for serious carry, as they both just plain work, for me.

Larry

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

do you think the mechanical accuracy was partially due to the poor trigger? Or do you feel you could overcome it and it was just an inaccurate gun. Now im not looking for a gun that shoots as well as my Kimber gold match. Heck my glocks except for my 20 are all 3 inch 25 yard guns. I can live with that in a gun like this. Guess what im looking for is an inexpensive 45 about the size of a 23 glock just to burn up ammo for the most part. It wont be a comp gun and isn't going to see to much ccw as I have better guns for that purpose but id like it to shoot good enough to be at least a decent woods bumming gun. So id like to see at least 3 inch 25 yard groups. Sure wish glock made the 23 sized gun in 45acp. I hate to fool with something new like a 45gap. Cant see why they at least don't make that single stacked 45 with a grip frame the same length as a 23. But then I guess accuracy isn't a guarantee with a glock either but at least reliability is. By the way I sure agree on loading mags for the smiths. My shield is about impossible to load without a mag loader and my m&p 9 full sized isn't much better. I think they use the same spring that's in the front end of my jeep in those magazines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeasy
Hello Lloyd. As Old Syko mentioned, I did have one for a while. Wanted to like it, as it was about the same size as my Glock 26, but with .45 power. The notchy trigger made it hard to shoot well, and its mechanical accuracy from the bench was just not that great. Also failed to feed / eject a couple times. It also seemed more "jumpy" in my hand than my .45 Glock and small 1911's. Getting that last round into the magazine was the most difficult of any firearm I have used, and seating a full magazine in the gun with the slide already closed on a loaded chamber was very difficult.

I know a lot of guys like them, and maybe the triggers are better on todays production. I eventually sold mine, and stick to my Kimber ultra carry 1911, and Glock 26 for serious carry, as they both just plain work, for me.

Larry

sixgun addict
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 04:16 PM

Gun Cabinet

Lloyd - Mine would shoot about 3 to 4 inches at 25 yards, from the bench. I can handle a pretty bad trigger if need be, especially from the bench, but I would have to figure it contributed, somewhat. Honestly, accurate enough for a self defense gun. Just spoiled by the 2 inch or so I can get with my 26, and less than that with the shorty Kimber. It also seemed harder to control in double and triple taps then it should have, compared to guns of approximate size and weight. I guess the bottom line is I just didn't enjoy shooting it, and had no use for another safe queen.

Mine was an early model, no safety, and I have read newer production tend to have better triggers. Most guys over on the S&W Forum report better accuracy with theirs, and the interchangeable back straps do make for a gun that feels good in your hand. If you like M&P's, I'd try one. Not really a bad gun, just didn't float my boat. But then again, I don't like beer either, prefer chocolate milk instead, so take it with a grain of salt...

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1168.JPG (233.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1168.JPG (233.0 KB, 11 views)

Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one. The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeasy
I have read newer production tend to have better triggers.

Larry

I just shot 2 more fresh out of the case this morning. I see no improvement in these triggers compared to what mine started as new. According to build dates mine is a bit over 2 years old. I can't imagine such an action ever being conducive to better accuracy than a decent 1911 no matter the changes.

As far as the mags go, I bought 10 more right after I got the gun along with a loader. What a pain! Yes my shield is hard too but not this bad.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

guy on the cast bullet fourm recommended a maglua to load magazines for my shield and its God sent!!! Makes loading those tough mags a breeze

sixgun addict
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM

Lloyd, I have the .45c, and really like it. It's very comfortable to shoot, and fits my hand well. I did install the Apex kit in mine, but I'm not convinced it's totally necessary. Most of the grittiness everyone complains of is from the firing pin safety, and it's an easy fix. I'd buy another one, if that means anything.

Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page