Psssst, anybody in here? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Default Psssst, anybody in here?

Is this section really open for posts? Is anybody planning a Prairie dog trip this year anywhere? I don't need GPS coordinates
but I know some of you still go, c'mon you can talk about it..... Its not like you are driving up at night with a spot light shining the little beasts. ... Is it?
Well anyway I hope to maybe get back out to MT to a spot I went once but the rain washed out the road and we never got from town to the field the dogs lived in.....
So lets revive the conversations. At least the non shining ones..... thejanitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM

We don't have P dog's here, we have Chucks. Kind of the same but different. We are weeks away from them waking up and coming out of their burrows. I try to keep the farm free of them as they make for bad falls when their holes are covered with snow.

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Hi James! I bet they wont kick us out for talking about "Prairie" chucks.... I myself have never shot one of them.
I, once in North Dakota did fire several shots at a prairie dog herd as they migrated hole to hole. It was even witnessed that I hit one, but I did not see the strike so have to just take their word for it.
What is your favorite chuck gun? Are they shot at great distance or will they let you get close?

thejanitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

The Fossil has several chuck videos on MO, he's shooting a 204 Ruger Ultra, IIRC.

Tim

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/op...hog-video.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 02:08 PM

My go to farm gun is the .22 hornet. I'm good to 150 yards. I have taken the .17HMR a couple of times and it will drop a Yote but not a Chuck. I do have a hornet barrel (H&R) that was rechamberd to .220 swift AI, still looking for a cast load it likes out to 2-300 yards. I hope to get my new to me Ares out to the farm. Going from a single shot to a 10 round semi will be different for sure. The farm is aprox 400 acres roughly half christmas trees and the rest hardwoods with 58 ponds mixed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10885085_823942351001012_7549812206454001439_n.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	153201  

Real trucks dont have spark plugs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-12-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I like the videos Tim- Thank you for posting that.

Vash I think your job is managing paradise.... As tired as I am of snow I like the pic you shared too. Please share chuck pics later when weather is chuck weather.
Thanks thejanitor
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 AM

Janitor,

When and where in MT? I have never hunted PDs but wouldn't mind trying. I ain't getting any younger so the sooner the better. I would probably use a 5.56 black gun out to a couple hundred yards, I probably couldn't see one any further than that. My 416 rigby could serve as backup in case one of them vicious critters decides to charge. Maybe I can kidnap Catfish and Jedman and bring them along for bait? Seriously, I would like to give this a go, sounds like a great hunt.

BB

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

MINE: 44 Bodeen Belted Magnum PI (Profino Improved), 44 Bodeen Rimmed, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 26" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, Tracker II 20 gashorty, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 10 gaPardner Smoothbore slug gun, 10ga Pardner Turkey & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Active Trader until: July 25, 2013
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

It was by the town of Baker,(S-E corner of MT and the farm was darn near the ND line) private land but the guy was happy to let us on the land, but the morning we were going the rains came and we couldn't get to the field. But many of the locals knew of the spot and wanted us to kill them.
MT that year (and maybe still) required us to have -0- permits or pay fees to the state to shoot PDs and we were lucky the guy wasn't going to charge us either. Where my brother has gone in SD on tribal lands the land owners were charging 90.00 a day per person. So I felt lucky to have found a free spot, but we just never got to cross the river. And have not been back. since. -thejanitor
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 01:07 PM

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/regulations/nongameFAQ.html

MINE: 44 Bodeen Belted Magnum PI (Profino Improved), 44 Bodeen Rimmed, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 26" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, Tracker II 20 gashorty, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 10 gaPardner Smoothbore slug gun, 10ga Pardner Turkey & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejanitor View Post
It was by the town of Baker,(S-E corner of MT and the farm was darn near the ND line) private land but the guy was happy to let us on the land, but the morning we were going the rains came and we couldn't get to the field. But many of the locals knew of the spot and wanted us to kill them.
MT that year (and maybe still) required us to have -0- permits or pay fees to the state to shoot PDs and we were lucky the guy wasn't going to charge us either. Where my brother has gone in SD on tribal lands the land owners were charging 90.00 a day per person. So I felt lucky to have found a free spot, but we just never got to cross the river. And have not been back. since. -thejanitor
Any interest in making a trip this year? I am going to talk to a few friends and see if I can get one or two to make the trip.

BB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page