What's everyone planning on planting this year. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Default What's everyone planning on planting this year.

We plan on planting yellow and butternut squash, pink eye purple hull peas, okra and tomatoes. Going to be an interesting growing season as we moved to the Texas Hill country and keeping the deer out of our garden looks to be a real challenge.

wtxbadger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM

To be totally honest, I don't have any kind of plan whatsoever. I'll be moving in about a month - the wife and I just bought a house on the other side of town. Fortunately, its a short move, but all of my seed starting stuff is staying packed in a tub. I figure it'll be a lot less stressful to move a tub and just wing it on the garden, as opposed to moving a half dozen flats of seedlings. My folks started some extra tomatoes and peppers, so those should be ready to go as soon as we finish the move. Aside from that, I'll be playing it by ear. The new house already has some raspberry canes established and a couple apple trees in the back yard. I'm actually more excited about the prospect of having some fresh fruit to feed my new winemaking hobby. Again, we'll see how that goes when the time comes.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 AM

I've got bell, jalepeno, pepperocini, cucumber and various herb seedlings growing. I plan on starting some tomatoes and cayenne peppers later this week and some butter nut and spaghetti squash first week of April. I am going to plant some peas outside this week. I'll have green beans and black beans as well as corn when it warms up. I bought 8 crowns of asparagus to plant but that won't do anything until next year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 AM

Also going to try growing potatoes in a garbage can

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 PM

a few tomatoes, pole beans, maybe a few peppers, they take so long to do anything here.
Made a batch of tomato wine years ago that was really good, wonder if I can duplicate it.
May put out an apple, or a pear, or plum, or something, the asparagus sounds interesting.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 PM

The normal stuff, tomatoes, peppers green beans, squashes, potatoes, sweat potatoes. Spinach, Cucumbers, I'd like to grow corn, but everytime I try, the raccoons tear it up. this year I'm gonna try some Brussels sprouts.

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 08:10 PM

It's going to be a while before I can plant anything, still have a couple feet of snow in my yard with another 6-12" coming tomorrow night but I have some seeds started. Green beans, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and zucchini this year.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass73 View Post
It's going to be a while before I can plant anything, still have a couple feet of snow in my yard with another 6-12" coming tomorrow night but I have some seeds started. Green beans, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, tomatoes, scallions and zucchini this year.

I still remember a time when we used to have consistent snow cover from mid-December through the end of February. Its been a long time since we've had a winter like that. Heck, if I added up all the days we had snow on the ground from the last two winters, it probably wouldn't be much more than a week. Farmers around here are already getting that itch to get out in the field. Some, not too far south of here, have already started planting some corn. Years ago, I don't think any would have even considered getting the planter out until tax day.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjclemens View Post
I still remember a time when we used to have consistent snow cover from mid-December through the end of February. Its been a long time since we've had a winter like that. Heck, if I added up all the days we had snow on the ground from the last two winters, it probably wouldn't be much more than a week. Farmers around here are already getting that itch to get out in the field. Some, not too far south of here, have already started planting some corn. Years ago, I don't think any would have even considered getting the planter out until tax day.
We've had kind of a weird winter here, a decent amount of snow but lots of warm days mixed in as well. We had one day where it got into the 60's in February. This is the view from my front porch right now. To the right of that grille is where I plant my garden.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:48 PM

Lovely! I miss snow...

Planting the usual. I have 8 raised beds, 3' x 12'. Two will have pole beans, probably two with tomatoes, one with peppers, one with zucchini, one with Swiss chard and the last with cukes.

The bed I had cukes in last year did nothing. So much of nothing that I didn't even have to weed it. I have NO idea how that came about, as the soil in all the beds is the same mix of topsoil and compost. I sure hope that it will produce something this year!

~WH~

NMLRA Life Member
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page