Why Should I Visit Wisconsin - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Default Why Should I Visit Wisconsin

My wife and I are planning a vacation and she ask about going to Wisconsin since I have never been there. Can any someone give me some interesting places to see and things to do while in Wisconsin? We plan on spending 2 weeks in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Why Should I Visit Wisconsin

East coast, Lake Michigan. North coast you've got Lake Superior. North east out past Greenbay, you've got the Door county thing.

I'll give you my WI tour idea. Milwaukee, check out Harley Davidson, and Allis Chalmers history in West Allis, throw in a Brewers game. Go on up to Oshkosh, for your aviation fix. From there continue north to Green Bay, genuflect at Lambeau Field, schedule a fishing trip out onto the big lake. Cruise on out onto the peninsula for a Door County tour. It's a woman thing, just do it. Might just as well get on into the UP of Michigan at this point. Escanaba is the home of Bark River knives, then I'd go to Munising (one of our GB members lives there abouts), on to Marquette, Iron Mountain and back through to WI.

Eagle River, WI. is home to snowmobile racing. Rhinelander, Minocqua, Tomahawk, ad nauseum, is a nice place to enjoy the north woods and do some fishing. For me this is the classic Wisconsin tourist outdoors area.

Now to decide if you've had enough or want to finish out a Great Lakes tour. Go north and add Lake Superior by way of Ashland, WI. as long as you are here head west on hwy 2 through Superior, WI. and on into Duluth, MN. plenty to do in Duluth, they are doing their level best to make it a destination city, with festivals every weekend. The tall ships thing is very cool (August I believe).

Heading south, if you skipped Superior get onto I-39 down towards Stephens Point, stop at the Point brewery. At this time pick a likely 2 lane and travel through the small towns. They are for the most part alive and well not ruined by Walmart or sprawl. For example Coloma, WI to Tomah, WI. Tomah area is a giant cranberry growing area, with tourism etc., Also a healthy Amish population if you're into that stuff.

You'll figure out that BEER, BRATS, and CHEESE CURDS, rule the day throughout the state. Demand fresh squeaky fresh cheese curds warm still is optimum. Demand the local brew, Lienenkugels, Point, New Glarius, whenever possible. Hit those local supper clubs and bars demanding fried fish, fried cheese curds, a brat with plenty of kraut, and a cold drought beer.

Okay, another route worth considering is west from Tomah to La Crosse, WI where I would pick up hwy 35 S, the great river Road, it parallels the Mississippi River. It will Peter out and you decide if Madison or Platteville/Dubuque make more sense.

That ought to give you some ideas. On the other hand, you can hit the Dells and say **** with it WI. is just a tourist trap and leave unimpressed.

Oofta

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 01:24 PM

Drink lotsa leniekugels original at the leinies lodge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Take the " Great River Road " along the mighty Mississippi River. Bluffs and views of the river is breathtaking sometimes. That is some of the most beautiful land on earth. Also, about everything Empty Quiver except Highway 39 And Stevens Point . Nice town but . . . It all depends on where you live. If you live in the Ozarks, there Missy might not mean much to you . If you live in the big woods, northern Wis. and " Da U.P won't be anything new. All relative I guess. " Da U.P . " is a place I can't quite explain. Every time I go there to visit , I promise I've seen enough and won't be going back. After 6 months, I can't wait to go back. Can't explain it. Lake Superior is a Lake ya might want to see at least one time. It holds 10% of the fresh water on this earth. It is mostly untouched lakeshore and is beautiful for some reason. You may want to hike the Porquepine mountains a few miles. Unreal beauty. We hiked the south end a bit where a river empties into Lake Superior in the park. I can't explain it. Untouched land with untouched lakeshore , unspoiled by man.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:57 AM

Always stopped in Ashland when I was driving semi coast to coast to spend the night and have a evening and morning meal. Always treated well and with respect. My son 20 years later attended college there.

My daughter lives in Eau Claire Wisconsin I always take the back roads from Marinette to get there. Interesting country not unlike many places in the northern part of the US. Always marveled at the meruil on the wall in Chippewa Falls.

We did one time take a side trip to the house on the rock Spring Green Wisconsin. Very interesting sight, bit of some thing for every one. to really enjoy it plan to spend at least 8 hours.

I my self believe winter is the best time to visit unless your into the tourist trap stuff. Many places to rent a snow mobile, cross country skis, snow shoes and even a rent a full set up ice fishing shanty.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beehunter71
My wife and I are planning a vacation and she ask about going to Wisconsin since I have never been there. Can any someone give me some interesting places to see and things to do while in Wisconsin? We plan on spending 2 weeks in the area.

What are you into? Fishing, boating, bicycling, motorcycling, hiking, driving, shopping, sightseeing? South west quarter of the state is known as the Driftless Area and has some of the best motorcycling roads in the country. It's also home to some of the best and longest biking trails, great hiking and canoeing the infamous Kickapoo. The northern third of the state is dotted with so many lakes that if a person spent a day at each one, it would take them over 35 years to see them all. Some are household names like the Big Chip(home of Louie Spray's world record 69 3/4 # Musky), Lac Vieux Desert(Home of the world record Tiger Musky and source of the Wisconsin River) and the Flambeau Flowage. Besides Muskies, there's lot of bass and walleye. In the Middle of the state, there is the word famous tourist trap, Wisconsin Dells if you like that kinda thing. There is a multitude of things to do and see here and Wisconsin is a very tourist/visitor friendly state, but without knowing what you like to do, it's kinda hard to recommend things.

"where'd you get the gun....son?"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:50 PM

Im 30 minutes from HAYWARD-not a huge town, but a real tourist trap. I work there. someone mentioned the world record musky, the freshwater fishing hall of fame is in hayward, but we call it the big fish. its a giant musky. I think you could also do a loop up and around lake superiors south shore. lots a nice little towns, and fishing! good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Bayfield and the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior are most beautiful. Take a boat tour of the islands or take the car ferry to Madeline Island. Some nice beaches there.

Cheesehead

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:01 PM

If your German, I recommend the German Festival in Milwaukee.

><> John 3:1-8
><> Romans 12:2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page