Semiautomatic law signed today - Page 5 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:29 AM

Been legal in GA for as long as I remember, no round limit either. I can't recall it being a problem with "spray and pray" hunters here. Maybe that is an up north thing.

I started hunting with a bolt gun, then went to a semi-auto ar-10, got tired of carrying that heavy thing, went back to the bolt and now I hunt with a single shot. Just evolution of personal preference I guess.

Hunting deer, I never take more than one. My first time ever hunting I shot 3 with a bolt gun, haven't shot more than one since. Just no reason for me to kill more than 1 and I have to clean it. Hogs are another thing. They scatter like roaches after the first shot and on occasion, one gets confused and you can shoot more than 1 where a semi would be useful.

Rosewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 AM

Flash said: All the single shot lovers can continue on their course but make mine a semiautomatic.

I'm basically a gun owner who enjoys shooting single shot,semi's and everything in between. As I have aged, I prefer singleshot's when hunting to all others for several reasons. They are lighter and easier to handle,make me a better hunter,are safer to operate especially where over crowded areas are concerned.

I personally think common sense should dictate what type of firearm should be used in certain areas, and it should be up to the state to enforce common sense laws to keep hunters as safe as possible,while letting them enjoy the hunt.Lets face it....We have responsible hunters and slobs who hunt. You never know who your going to run into in the woods.
Where I hunt here in the NW part of the country I hunt on land that I rarely see another hunter. So much land and very few hunters.Back east where I grew up, the scene was just the opposite. We don't even require hunter orange to be used by adults here. I wouldn't even think about deer hunting back east without wearing it. To each his own! I like to target shoot both types, hunt with single shots and keep my semi's for personal defense. Just my personal preference!

Any Republican not favoring Donald Trump should resign from office and become a Democrat.

"Newt G."
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:42 PM

been wanting a .22 mag semi for varmit calling. guess its time!!

life member pa trappers,venango co. leader
life member v.f.w.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Semi's for coyote, fox and small game is fine but the only people I know that want a semi for deer are the ones that shoot at herds of running deer, can't hit the broad side of a barn or have ego's bigger that their wallets.
Add to the fact that .223 is marginal for deer at best, especially with the cheap ammo. You're just writing a recipe for suffering. Keep shooting until something falls! Forget the ones that keep running. I've seen it with bolts and levers. Semi's will make it worse. There are a lot of scumbags out there and unfortunately, I have hunted with some of them. One of them just bought a Semi for deer after going through 2 boxes of 300 Win Mag in deer season.
I think I would rather see Pa. follow Ohio before permitting Semi-automatic rifles. Shotgun and black powder only for deer. You would have a lot less hunters, but they would be better hunters. That being said, I don't think twice about a 300 yrd shot, But I practice and if a deer doesn't drop in it's tracks, it doesn't go far.
Offended.......? Tell Obama.
Ohio has even started to enter the modern age as the also allow select rifle rounds now.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page