Is Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Default Is Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language?

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is discussed with 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection folks, some of them say that it is using common Jewish idiomatic language to explain the missing night time. Does anyone know of any examples from the 1st century or before which forecast a daytime or a night time being involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have taken place? If the verse is using common idiomatic language, there ought to be examples of that usage in order to be able to say that it was common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Is Matthew 12:40 Using Common Idiomatic Language?

The Jews of the time had a common way of 'reconing' time, part of a day is counted as a whole. Looks like other people have explained this to you.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...php?p=19322387

"Fortitudine Vincimus"
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 02:13 PM

It's true the Jews counted any part of a day as a day so looking at the grave that way does accommodate three days but that still leaves a problem; the prophecy specifically says three "days" AND three nights. The only way that can be fulfilled is to have the crucifixion occur on Thursday. That's what I've come to believe happened because I trust the Bible.

We've come to believe the crucifixion was on Friday for one reason; the next day was Sabbath (Saturday). But ALL Jewish holidays were Sabbaths. I suspect the Passover was Friday, leaving the normal Saturday in place as two back to back Sabbaths. There are no prophecy contradictions or mental gymnastics needed IF the cross was on Thursday. ??

From what I understand, there were no special observances of Easter/Resurrection Day until many years after the event. It was hundreds of years later that the Roman church had drifted into thinking Jewish stuff didn't matter so observing Passover became a meaningless leftover Jewish subject. It was easy for them to then suppose the crucifixion occurred on "Good" Friday because everyone knew displayed dead bodies wouldn't be acceptable to Jews on a Saturday Sabbath. The rest of church history has mistakenly followed the early Roman pattern. I think.

(There are a lot more residual Roman church doctrines floating around than many people would think. The supposed possibility of losing one's salvation for instance!)

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 07:23 PM

Was there a Passover involved here ?
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:59 PM

Not only did the Jews observe the Saturday sabbath, but other special sabbaths as well. This was Passover week, but if my recollection is correct it was also a seven year sabbath.

The fact that they had to hurry the affair to bury him lends credence to it being a sabbath. When the ladies went to the grave Sunday am they were going to complete the hurried burial.

Also bear in mind the Jewish day was from "even until even", or 6:00 pm. John in his gospel mentions "watches" which indicates Roman time, while Matthew uses Jewish time.

It all seems Biblical that he died on Thursday, had a hurried burial before the special sabbath on Friday 6:00 pm.

Where is the ammo?
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

mtdotcomm,
re: "The Jews of the time had a common way of 'reconing' time, part of a day is counted as a whole. Looks like other people have explained this to you."

Indeed they have, and I agree. But where did the Jews of the time have a common way of saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of the daytime or no part of the night time could have occurred?

Perhaps someone new looking in will know of examples.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM

I have heard this preached on so many times---it is a hidden truth !
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Since it's been awhile, perhaps someone new looking in might know of examples.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 AM

Was there a Passover involved here? Wellllll ... yes.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

wncchester,

Since you're not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate, you most likely wouldn't know of any examples.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page