An unclean spirit seems to be entering some of the churches - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
We are given a measuring rule for such things.

Galatians 5:22-23New King James Version (NKJV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
Amen!

"As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.
― Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:58 AM

So, what does that tell us about the original post. Are those folks doing any harm?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilysDad View Post
So, what does that tell us about the original post. Are those folks doing any harm?
It is spiritual loss of control and it is harmful, but IMHO, the harm they do is mostly indirect. At best, such weird floor dancing antics are hurtful to the cause of Christ. At worst, and if they know it or not, those people are demonically possessed.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:48 AM

Which gives rise to the idea of what spirit, small s, is present.
I don't believe that a Christian is capable of demon possession because the Spirit of God dwells within the believer not another spirit. I don't see the reference to Galatians as a good litmus unless it is meant to point to the self serving self centered antics demonstrated in those videos.

As a side thought, I was listening to a former charismatic, born and raised. He (Justin Holcomb) found his way into solid Biblical orthodoxy and orthopraxy. He observed that in his charismatic days he saw an emphasis on "Freedom in the Spirit" that very oddly ended up in a very set pattern over a short period of time. It became liturgical very quickly but was a liturgy built on human emotion and experience rather than a liturgy focused on Christ and His work.

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie

Last edited by littlecanoe; 02-05-2017 at 09:50 AM.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
So, where is the line between praying for wellness and what is portrayed in these videos? Where is the line between God speaking to you personally(which some claim doesn't happen) and flopping around on the floor and babbling nonsense?
Great questions. Again. I'm not seeing the direct link between Galatians and these question.

Concerning healing I would contrast the misuse of Isaiah's comment "by these stripes you are healed" to Paul's prayer that if it be God's will, the thorn in his flesh be removed. Isaiah is misquoted and speaks immediately of our spiritual healing through Christ's death and our new birth. We will be physically whole only when we are glorified. This view of Isaiah's statement is demanding rather than requesting. Paul, on the other hand, in humble submission requested healing without any expectation other than God's will be done. He did not demand.

Disclaimer. I believe that people are still healed.

Personal revelation. One of the men in the video claimed to have direct apostolic power and proceeded to demonstrate that by "being a conduit to use that power on the Canadian man who jerked around on stage". I claim FAKE. From the Old Testament to the New Testament we see a limited audible speaking of God directly to people. In contrast we see severe condemnation of the Jewish leaders for possessing the scripture and not studying it to know God(hear God). This same chastisement is leveled against the church at Corinth and by the writer of Hebrews. We have God's greatest communication to man, outside the works of Christ, recorded for our consumption, nourishment and understanding. To ignore that and seek esoteric or existential experiences is to turn away from the primary means of God's communication to his children. I believe that this is done in innocence in many cases through a profound misunderstanding of the office and Work of the Holy Spirit.

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:06 PM

Paul addressed the charismatic gifts and their proper application very well in 1 Corinthians 12 & 13 but a lot of what he said has been misconstrued by people on both side of the issue. Paul did NOT say the gifts would pass away in this age but he was well aware of how quickly things could get out of hand by emotion and pretenders so he carefully explained how they should appear in corporate worship; those videos horribly violate Paul's (God's) instructions.

It's no secret that Benny Hind has been exposed as a phony religious show business "healer" multiple times, and he did so before my eyes the one time I saw him in action in Orlando back in '98, but his gullible followers obviously don't care so he's still filthy rich. I suppose his act just looks and feels really good to the segment of shallow religious people who follow him. Sad.

Last edited by wncchester; 02-05-2017 at 09:11 PM.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Welcome to the board Sir. POWDERMAN.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:46 PM

Lilly's dad ... OUR Miss Lilly?

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncchester View Post
Lilly's dad ... OUR Miss Lilly?

That's what I had assumed. CHARLIE.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:46 AM

No sir! My Lily is a 10yo Yorkshire Terrior.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page