Question on Saving Faith - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 12:53 AM

Throughout my life I've been told "saving faith" is about keeping the commandments, going to church, choosing Jesus, praying for salvation and really really (I mean really) meaning it, really being repentant about your sins, sincerely. If you believe hard enough ... its all on you to do that by the way ... then you have saving faith. The one who doubts or backslides does not have saving faith, so don't doubt, and don't backslide.

Then I read about Saul, who was on the road to Damascus to kill and imprison Christians, and breathing curses and threats, getting taken against his will by Jesus, converted, and sent to spread the Gospel ... and he was willing to suffer and die for it! It occurred to me that there is more to this "saving faith" than is within my own power to achieve.

Held Fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Well said once more Team Nelson.
After the Crucifixion the believers
were scattered, even Peter denied Him, yet after
the day of Pentecost they would never deny Him.
Looks like it is more His love than anything we do.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:26 AM

You know, I was going to modify my answer to wnnchester a bit in light of littlecanoe's clarification, but then I thought that I don't need to. After I remember that God says "without me you can do nothing" (Jn 15:5) I realize that a list of commandments from Christ IS reassurance. We can approach a natural good (as the ancient philosophers did) but cannot do any spiritual good without God's grace. So the fact that we can and DO follow Christ's commands ARE reassurance to the believer precisely;y because they are spiritual goods. SO here it is:

Depending on who is doing the counting, there are ~3 orbetween 50 and 1050 commands in the New Testament; the ~3 being: (the GreatCommandment): “You shall love...God with all your heart, with all your soul,with all your mind, and with all your strength....You shall love your neighboras yourself.” (Deut 6:5, Mark 12:30-31, Matt 22:37,Lk 10:27) and the NewCommandment: “Love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should loveone another” (John 13:34)

But for more detail, I prefer this list of 50.(compiled notby me, but it works)

50 Commands of Christ – (well, 49 plus the command to keepHis commands)

1. Repent—Matthew 4:17, Luke 13:3

2. Let not your heart be troubled—John 14:27, John 16:33,Matthew 6:25-26, Philippians 4:6-7

3. Follow me—Matthew 4:19

4. Rejoice—Matthew 5:12, (Also 2 Corinthians 6:10, 12:10,James 1:2-4)

5. Let your light shine—Matthew 5:16

6. Honor God’s law—Matthew 5:17-19

7. Be reconciled—Matthew 5:24-25

8. Do not commit adultery—Matthew 5:27-30

9. Keep your word—Matthew 5:33-37

10. Go the second mile—Matthew 5:38-42

11. Love your enemies—Matthew 5:44

12. Be perfect—Matthew 5:48

13. Practice secret disciplines (giving, praying, fasting)—Matthew6:1-18

14. Lay up treasures in heaven—Matthew 6:19-21

15. Seek first the kingdom of God—Matthew 6:33

16. Judge not—Matthew 7:1-2

17. Do not throw your pearls to pigs—Matthew 7:6

18. Ask, seek, and knock—Matthew 7:7-8

19. Do unto others—Matthew 7:12

20. Choose the narrow way—Matthew 7:13-14

21. Beware of false prophets—Matthew 7:15

22. Pray for those who spread the word—Matthew 9:37-38

23. Be as shrewd as serpents—Matthew 10:16. (Also Romans16:19)

24. Fear God. Do not fear man— Matthew 10:28 (Also Luke12:4-5)

25. Listen to God’s voice—Matthew 11:15, 13:9, 13:43, Mark4:23, Luke 14:35, 1 Kings 19:11-13

26. Take my yoke—Matthew 11:29

27. Honor your parents—Matthew 15:4

28. Beware of false teaching—Matthew 16:6, 11-12

29. Deny yourself—Luke 9:23 (Also Matthew 10:38 and Mark8:34)

30. Do not despise little ones—Matthew 18:10

31. Go to Christians who offend you—Matthew 18:15 (AlsoGalatians 6:1)

32. Forgive offenders—Matthew 18:21-22 (Also Proverbs 19:11)

33. Beware of covetousness—Luke 12:15

34. Honor marriage—Matthew 19:6, 19:9

35. Lead by being a servant—Matthew 20:26-28

36. Make the church a house of prayer for all nations—Mark11:17

37. Pray in faith—Matthew 21:21-22, John 15:7

38. Bring in the poor—Luke 14:12-14

39. Render unto Caesar—Matthew 22:19-21

40. Love the Lord—Matthew 22:37-38

41. Love your neighbor—Matthew 22:39

42. Be born again—John 3:7

43. Await my return—Matthew 24:42-44

44. Celebrate the Lord’s supper—Matthew 26:26-27 and John6:53

45. Watch and pray—Matthew 26:41

46. Keep my commandments—John 14:15

47. Feed my sheep—John 21:15-16

48. Make and baptize disciples—Matthew 28:19

49. Teach disciples to obey—Matthew 28:20

50. Receive God’s power—Luke 24:49

"As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.
― Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

C.

As I was reading through the responses from yesterday I was thinking of Christ's summation of the commandments into the two, God and neighbor. I don't believe that I am capable of either. It's assurance that I can't perform these these with any degree of perfection. is the work of the law in the life of the believer to continually point us to Christ as we see that we cannot meet these demands?

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:43 AM

I would add that you not only have to believe as in Romans 10:9 and mirrored in other verses, but you have to believe that Christ is indeed who He says He is: the Word Incarnate; which also requires that you believe that (as in John) the Word is God, which requires you to believe in the Trinity.

"As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

― Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
C.

As I was reading through the responses from yesterday I was thinking of Christ's summation of the commandments into the two, God and neighbor. I don't believe that I am capable of either. It's assurance that I can't perform these these with any degree of perfection. is the work of the law in the life of the believer to continually point us to Christ as we see that we cannot meet these demands?

lc

You cannot do it yourself, but with God's grace (and only with His grace) you can.(Phil 4:13)

post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Measuring stick

C.
I posted that quickly while working today. I had a very hectic Friday and left the post as a reminder.

In reference to your last post I have been down that road. My experience was one of frustration. My measuring stick was one of how faithful I could be. The problem that I found was that I could not do it. I prayed, rested in God's grace and failed. It was not a lack of faith in God that caused my failure. I realize now that it was the old Adam within. I'm sinful. I'm a sinner short and sweet.

I agree with TN in post #11 and believe that I must rely upon what was done by Christ on my behalf. If Paul, in Romans 7, an older Apostle, recognized sin in the flesh, sin within himself, I now see that he could not have been relying on himself to be righteous but relied on the Righteousness of Christ.

As a measuring stick my ability in sincerity fell short even with faith and I had no peace. I now have peace because I recognize that Christ is the measuring stick to which I look. His perfection and righteousness which paid my penalty and covers my sin.

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie

Last edited by littlecanoe; 02-10-2017 at 09:37 PM.
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
Measuring stick

???

post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wncchester View Post
"If you believe in your heart--not in your intellect--that this is truth---Whammo---your a Christian and Christ knows you as His !"

Sounds as if you believe there's nothing to it but a sincere "belief" that Jesus is the Son of God you're in good shape but maybe there's more to it than that:

James 2:19 (NKJV) - "You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!"

Demons don't just have a core belief, they KNOW who He is but it avails them nothing.
Well0f all people I would have expected you to know this answer---I remeber you schooling someone on this in the past.
but i will answer as though it is an honest question and not your usual trolling.

Many Many Many people believe in God--even one God---but they fall short because they treat Christ Jesus as a teacher or a prophet--one group say that He IS the son of God, but He is not fully God.
Blessings

PS--it would also be nice if you did not act like CNN and post the whole reply .

TEXAS, by GOD

Last edited by williamlayton; 02-10-2017 at 11:03 AM.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlayton View Post
Define what you mean by repentance before I reply
Blessings
I can't believe that I need to define repentance. It means to turn around, turn back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnelson View Post
Throughout my life I've been told "saving faith" is about keeping the commandments, going to church, choosing Jesus, praying for salvation and really really (I mean really) meaning it, really being repentant about your sins, sincerely. If you believe hard enough ... its all on you to do that by the way ... then you have saving faith.

Then I read about Saul . . .
It is [B][U]Nothing[U][B] we do. Faith only comes by the power of the Holy Spirit. It always boggles peoples minds in our Bible Class when they are told that we can turn away from Christ on our own, but we can only receive Jesus by the power of the Spirit.

Additional Question: What is non-saving Faith?

Last edited by LilysDad; 02-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page