2 SAMUEL 5:23 And David enquired of the Lord. LUKE 11:4 Lead us not into temptation - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Default 2 SAMUEL 5:23 And David enquired of the Lord. LUKE 11:4 Lead us not into temptation

Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening - February 09, 2017

> Reply-To: [email protected]

> Today's Reading
> Morning
>
> "And David enquired of the Lord."
> 2 Samuel 5:23
>
> When David made this enquiry he had just fought the Philistines, and gained asignal victory. The Philistines came up in great hosts, but, by the help of God,David had easily put them to flight. Note, however, that when they came a secondtime, David did not go up to fight them without enquiring of the Lord. Once he hadbeen victorious, and he might have said, as many have in other cases, "I shall bevictorious again; I may rest quite sure that if I have conquered once I shalltriumph yet again. Wherefore should I tarry to seek at the Lord's hands?" Not so,David. He had gained one battle by the strength of the Lord; he would not ventureupon another until he had ensured the same. He enquired, "Shall I go up againstthem?" He waited until God's sign was given.

Learn from David to take no stepwithout God. Christian, if thou wouldst know the path of duty, take God for thycompass; if thou wouldst steer thy ship through the dark billows, put the tillerinto the hand of the Almighty. Many a rock might be escaped, if we would let ourFather take the helm; many a shoal or quicksand we might well avoid, if we wouldleave to his sovereign will to choose and to command. The Puritan said, "As sureas ever a Christian carves for himself, he'll cut his own fingers;" this is agreat truth. Said another old divine, "He that goes before the cloud of God'sprovidence goes on a fool's errand;" and so he does. We must mark God's providenceleading us; and if providence tarries, tarry till providence comes. He who goesbefore providence, will be very glad to run back again. "I will instruct thee andteach thee in the way which thou shalt go," is God's promise to his people. Letus, then, take all our perplexities to him, and say, "Lord, what wilt thou have meto do?" Leave not thy chamber this morning without enquiring of the Lord.
>
> Evening
>
> "Lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil [or, the evil one]."
> Luke 11:4
>
> What we are taught to seek or shun in prayer, we should equally pursue or avoid inaction. Very earnestly, therefore, should we avoid temptation, seeking to walk soguardedly in the path of obedience, that we may never tempt the devil to tempt us.We are not to enter the thicket in search of the lion. Dearly might we pay forsuch presumption. This lion may cross our path or leap upon us from the thicket,but we have nothing to do with hunting him. He that meeteth with him, even thoughhe winneth the day, will find it a stern struggle. Let the Christian pray that hemay be spared the encounter. Our Saviour, who had experience of what temptationmeant, thus earnestly admonished his disciples--"Pray that ye enter not intotemptation."
>
> But let us do as we will, we shall be tempted; hence the prayer "deliver us fromevil." God had one Son without sin; but he has no son without temptation. Thenatural man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upwards, and the Christian man isborn to temptation just as certainly. We must be always on our watch againstSatan, because, like a thief, he gives no intimation of his approach. Believerswho have had experience of the ways of Satan, know that there are certain seasonswhen he will most probably make an attack, just as at certain seasons bleak windsmay be expected; thus the Christian is put on a double guard by fear of danger,and the danger is averted by preparing to meet it. Prevention is better than cure:it is better to be so well armed that the devil will not attack you, than toendure the perils of the fight, even though you come off a conqueror. Pray thisevening first that you may not be tempted, and next that if temptation bepermitted, you may be delivered from the evil one.
>
>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page