PHILLIPIANS 4:12. I know how to abound. ISAIAH 44:22 I have blotted out - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Default PHILLIPIANS 4:12. I know how to abound. ISAIAH 44:22 I have blotted out

Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening - February 10, 2017

> Reply-To: [email protected]
>

> Today's Reading
> Morning
>
> "I know how to abound."
> Philippians 4:12
>
> There are many who know "how to be abased" who have not learned "how to abound."When they are set upon the top of a pinnacle their heads grow dizzy, and they areready to fall. The Christian far oftener disgraces his profession in prosperitythan in adversity. It is a dangerous thing to be prosperous. The crucible ofadversity is a less severe trial to the Christian than the refining pot ofprosperity. Oh, what leanness of soul and neglect of spiritual things have beenbrought on through the very mercies and bounties of God! Yet this is not a matterof necessity, for the apostle tells us that he knew how to abound. When he hadmuch he knew how to use it. Abundant grace enabled him to bear abundantprosperity. When he had a full sail he was loaded with much ballast, and sofloated safely. It needs more than human skill to carry the brimming cup of mortaljoy with a steady hand, yet Paul had learned that skill, for he declares, "In allthings I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry." It is a divine lesson toknow how to be full, for the Israelites were full once, but while the flesh wasyet in their mouth

, the wrath of God came upon them. Many have asked for merciesthat they might satisfy their own hearts' lust. Fulness of bread has often madefulness of blood, and that has brought on wantonness of spirit. When we have muchof God's providential mercies, it often happens that we have but little of God'sgrace, and little gratitude for the bounties we have received. We are full and weforget God: satisfied with earth, we are content to do without heaven. Restassured it is harder to know how to be full than it is to know how to behungry--so desperate is the tendency of human nature to pride and forgetfulness ofGod. Take care that you ask in your prayers that God would teach you "how to befull."
>
> "Let not the gifts thy love bestows
>
> Estrange our hearts from thee."
>
> Evening
>
> "I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thysins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee."
> Isaiah 44:22
>
> Attentively observe the instructive similitude: our sins are like a cloud. Asclouds are of many shapes and shades, so are our transgressions. As clouds obscurethe light of the sun, and darken the landscape beneath, so do our sins hide fromus the light of Jehovah's face, and cause us to sit in the shadow of death. Theyare earth-born things, and rise from the miry places of our nature; and when socollected that their measure is full, they threaten us with storm and tempest.Alas! that, unlike clouds, our sins yield us no genial showers, but ratherthreaten to deluge us with a fiery flood of destruction. O ye black clouds of sin,how can it be fair weather with our souls while ye remain?
>
> Let our joyful eye dwell upon the notable act of divine mercy--"blotting out." Godhimself appears upon the scene, and in divine benignity, instead of manifestinghis anger, reveals his grace: he at once and forever effectually removes themischief, not by blowing away the cloud, but by blotting it out from existenceonce for all. Against the justified man no sin remains, the great transaction ofthe cross has eternally removed his transgressions from him. On Calvary's summitthe great deed, by which the sin of all the chosen was forever put away, wascompletely and effectually performed.
>
> Practically let us obey the gracious command, "return unto me." Why shouldpardoned sinners live at a distance from their God? If we have been forgiven allour sins, let no legal fear withhold us from the boldest access to our Lord. Letbackslidings be bemoaned, but let us not persevere in them. To the greatestpossible nearness of communion with the Lord, let us, in the power of the HolySpirit, strive mightily to return. O Lord, this night restore us!
>
>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page