1 JOHN. 3: 1-2. BEHOLD, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed on us. - Graybeard Outdoors
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: KY
Posts: 38,116
Default 1 JOHN. 3: 1-2. BEHOLD, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed on us.

Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening - February 13, 2017

> Reply-To: [email protected]
>
> Today's Reading
> Morning
>
> "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should becalled the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew himnot. Beloved, now are we the sons of God."
> 1 John 3:1-2
>
> "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us." Consider who wewere, and what we feel ourselves to be even now when corruption is powerful in us,and you will wonder at our adoption. Yet we are called "the sons of God." What ahigh relationship is that of a son, and what privileges it brings! What care andtenderness the son expects from his father, and what love the father feels towardsthe son! But all that, and more than that, we now have through Christ. As for thetemporary drawback of suffering with the elder brother, this we accept as anhonour: "Therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not." We arecontent to be unknown with him in his humiliation, for we are to be exalted withhim. "Beloved, now are we the sons of God."


That is easy to read, but it is not soeasy to feel. How is it with your heart this morning? Are you in the lowest depthsof sorrow? Does corruption rise within your spirit, and grace seem like a poorspark trampled under foot? Does your faith almost fail you? Fear not, it isneither your graces nor feelings on which you are to live: you must live simply byfaith on Christ. With all these things against us, now--in the very depths of oursorrow, wherever we may be--now, as much in the valley as on the mountain,"Beloved, now are we the sons of God." "Ah, but," you say, "see how I am arrayed!my graces are not bright; my righteousness does not shine with apparent glory."But read the next: "It doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that,when he shall appear, we shall be like him." The Holy Spirit shall purify ourminds, and divine power shall refine our bodies; then shall we see him as he is.
>
> Evening
>
> "There is therefore now no condemnation."
> Romans 8:1
>
> Come, my soul, think thou of this. Believing in Jesus, thou art actually andeffectually cleared from guilt; thou art led out of thy prison. Thou art no morein fetters as a bond-slave; thou art delivered now from the bondage of the law;thou art freed from sin, and canst walk at large as a freeman; thy Saviour's bloodhas procured thy full discharge. Thou hast a right now to approach thy Father'sthrone. No flames of vengeance are there to scare thee now; no fiery sword;justice cannot smite the innocent. Thy disabilities are taken away: thou wast onceunable to see thy Father's face: thou canst see it now.


Thou couldst not speakwith him: but now thou hast access with boldness. Once there was a fear of hellupon thee; but thou hast no fear of it now, for how can there be punishment forthe guiltless? He who believeth is not condemned, and cannot be punished. And morethan all, the privileges thou mightst have enjoyed, if thou hadst never sinned,are thine now that thou art justified. All the blessings which thou wouldst havehad if thou hadst kept the law, and more, are thine, because Christ has kept itfor thee. All the love and the acceptance which perfect obedience could haveobtained of God, belong to thee, because Christ was perfectly obedient on thybehalf, and hath imputed all his merits to thy account, that thou mightst beexceeding rich through him, who for thy sake became exceeding poor. Oh! how greatthe debt of love and gratitude thou owest to thy Saviour!
>
> "A debtor to mercy alone,
>
> Of covenant mercy I sing;
>
> Nor fear with thy righteousness on,
>
> My person and offerings to bring:
>
> The terrors of law and of God,
>
> With me can have nothing to do;
>
> My Saviour's obedience and blood
>
> Hide all my transgressions from view."
>
>
powderman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Senior Member
 
goodshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,315
Default

Thank you brother

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
goodshot is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome