PHILLIPIANS 4:11. I have learned, in whatever state I am Therewith , to be content. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Default PHILLIPIANS 4:11. I have learned, in whatever state I am Therewith , to be content.

Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening - February 16, 2017

> Reply-To: [email protected]
>
> Today's Reading
> Morning
>
> "I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content."
> Philippians 4:11
>
> These words show us that contentment is not a natural propensity of man. "Illweeds grow apace." Covetousness, discontent, and murmuring are as natural to manas thorns are to the soil. We need not sow thistles and brambles; they come upnaturally enough, because they are indigenous to earth: and so, we need not teachmen to complain; they complain fast enough without any education. But the preciousthings of the earth must be cultivated. If we would have wheat, we must plough andsow; if we want flowers, there must be the garden, and all the gardener's care.Now, contentment is one of the flowers of heaven, and if we would have it, it mustbe cultivated; it will not grow in us by nature; it is the new nature alone thatcan produce it, and even then we must be specially careful and watchful that wemaintain and cultivate the grace which God has sown in us. Paul says, "I havelearned ... to be content;" as much as to say, he did not know how at one time.

Itcost him some pains to attain to the mystery of that great truth. No doubt hesometimes thought he had learned, and then broke down. And when at last he hadattained unto it, and could say, "I have learned in whatsoever state I am,therewith to be content," he was an old, grey-headed man, upon the borders of thegrave--a poor prisoner shut up in Nero's dungeon at Rome. We might well be willingto endure Paul's infirmities, and share the cold dungeon with him, if we too mightby any means attain unto his good degree. Do not indulge the notion that you canbe contented without learning, or learn without discipline. It is not a power thatmay be exercised naturally, but a science to be acquired gradually. We know thisfrom experience. Brother, hush that murmur, natural though it be, and continue adiligent pupil in the College of Content.
>
> Evening
>
> "Thy good Spirit."
> Nehemiah 9:20
>
> Common, too common is the sin of forgetting the Holy Spirit. This is folly andingratitude. He deserves well at our hands, for he is good, supremely good. AsGod, he is good essentially. He shares in the threefold ascription of Holy, holy,holy, which ascends to the Triune Jehovah. Unmixed purity and truth, and grace ishe. He is good benevolently, tenderly bearing with our waywardness, striving withour rebellious wills; quickening us from our death in sin, and then training usfor the skies as a loving nurse fosters her child. How generous, forgiving, andtender is this patient Spirit of God. He is good operatively. All his works aregood in the most eminent degree: he suggests good thoughts, prompts good actions,reveals good truths, applies good promises, assists in good attainments, and leadsto good results.

There is no spiritual good in all the world of which he is notthe author and sustainer, and heaven itself will owe the perfect character of itsredeemed inhabitants to his work. He is good officially; whether as Comforter,Instructor, Guide, Sanctifier, Quickener, or Intercessor, he fulfils his officewell, and each work is fraught with the highest good to the church of God. Theywho yield to his influences become good, they who obey his impulses do good, theywho live under his power receive good. Let us then act towards so good a personaccording to the dictates of gratitude. Let us revere his person, and adore him asGod over all, blessed forever; let us own his power, and our need of him bywaiting upon him in all our holy enterprises; let us hourly seek his aid, andnever grieve him; and let us speak to his praise whenever occasion occurs. Thechurch will never prosper until more reverently it believes in the Holy Ghost. Heis so good and kind, that it is sad indeed that he should be grieved by slightsand negligences.
>
>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page