Extinct religions - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Default Extinct religions

>>>On January 2, 2017, Sister Frances Carr died aged 89 at the Sabbathday community, leaving only two remaining Shakers: Brother Arnold Hadd, age 58 and Sister June Carpenter, 77

The Shakers did not believe in procreation so it if obvious what happened to them. The needs of their sex drive overwhelmed the need for purity.

Given the passage of enough time, will your religion become irrelevant and extinct as say the Egyptian's worship of the sun god? Will any of the current religions be around in 10,000 years? In 100.000 years?

Most of us cannot name all of our great, great grandfathers going back only 150 years. So religious motivation can be forgotten easily, just like our own ancestors.

We all know that the facts of science will still be around then but religion has no real basis, except fear, superstition and the imaginary deity in the sky. Religion being a preference and not a necessity is not going to be very durable. It can and will be left behind when it is no longer convenient.

What hath Newton and Samuel F. B. Morse wrought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

If you wish to have no religion and take your chances on finding out only after death that you were wrong that's fine. No one here really cares if you wish to not chose to believe. But why do you feel the need to post to the religion forum since you have no religion?

You are just a spammer and pot stirrer on this forum and those things are against the rules. So if you are only interested in trying to create problems here on this religion forum just stay away from it. I'm sure you could find a place where other lost souls like yours wish to hang out together and to commiserate with each other over how smart you are to believe there is no divine creator. Just do it on a different forum than this religion forum which is for the discussion of religion not the lack of religion.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireload2 View Post

We all know that the facts of science will still be around then ...
No we don't know that, in fact I am 100% certain that much of what you assume to be true will likely be discovered to be false. Science was convinced the world was flat, that the universe was earth-centric, and a number of other myths. The present one, man-made global warming, has already been roundly proven false, just as the impending ice age theory that absorbed much of the 1970s. The list of scientific myths throughout human history is staggering, but if you want to place your faith in it, have at it and leave this forum alone. Or admit that you worship science blindly, swallow all of its indoctrination without any rational discernment, and admit that you are precisely the thing you seem to fear.

Held Fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:08 PM

what if ireload is right and there is no god? then no harm, no foul, but what if I am right ,and there is a God, then he is in big trouble.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Other than a general hope for the salvation of the lost, few Christians care what atheists believe. Some of them obviously can't believe we really don't care so they can't bring themselves to just walk away. But I don't care!

It's interesting to note there is ONE basic religion (Judaeo Christianity) that has survived nicely for some 6-7 thousand years tho we're totally iggerant of who our great great great grandfathers were.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:26 AM

If a rotten tree falls in the forest and nobody hears, does it make any difference?

If an atheist harps daily and tries to badger Christians continually, does anybody hear or care ?

“The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
― Alexandre Dumas-fils
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

It is sad if we don't care enough to pray for the non-believers. I understand the great commission to, at a minimum, require that we pray for the non-believers. I just don't have to argue with them all.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
If you wish to have no religion and take your chances on finding out only after death that you were wrong that's fine. No one here really cares if you wish to not chose to believe. But why do you feel the need to post to the religion forum since you have no religion?

You are just a spammer and pot stirrer on this forum and those things are against the rules. So if you are only interested in trying to create problems here on this religion forum just stay away from it. I'm sure you could find a place where other lost souls like yours wish to hang out together and to commiserate with each other over how smart you are to believe there is no divine creator. Just do it on a different forum than this religion forum which is for the discussion of religion not the lack of religion.

BILL. Thank you Sir I agree and have suggested so Myself more than once. CHARLIE. .
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
It is sad if we don't care enough to pray for the non-believers. I understand the great commission to, at a minimum, require that we pray for the non-believers. I just don't have to argue with them all.
Oh, I think it's quite safe to say many of us pray for atheists like IR, just as we do for all the lost. And I don't believe countering their fallacious "logic" constitutes a harmful argument (rational arguments are not quarrels). I may not accomplish anything and I won't chase them down to do it but, in response to the Great Commission, when a lost person crosses my path I feel compelled to try as long as he stays in my face.

I know reasoned discussions probably won't matter to those who, like IR, are determined to close their eyes and say, "I see nothing!" but we may help some unsure young Christians. That's my major goal when countering atheist errors.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Last edited by wncchester; 03-18-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_225 View Post
Gene;
I do pray regularly for the salvation of unbelievers. I not only pray, but I walk the walk in evangelization. I cannot guess how many I have personally, one-on-one, led to salvation, praying the sinner's prayer with them. But of course, I never kept count..must be near a hundred, or perhaps more.
Even God, who has way more patience than any of us, after being rejected just once too often, will himself "turn them to reprobate mind"..and let them go on ignoring and sinning.. to the reward they richly deserve.
(Romans 1:28)

“The difference between genius and stupidity is: genius has its limits.”
― Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page