Common Theme - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Default Common Theme

Something to reflect on this Lenten Season.

Does anyone see a common theme running through these verses?

Rev. 22:13
Col 3:11
Matt :25: 31-46
John 15:5
John 17:11b, 20-23
1 Cor 12 12:1-26

><> John 3:1-8
><> Romans 12:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 AM

These passages are for those who are in Christ and are I dwelled by the Holy Spirit.

All things are of for and by Christ.
Christ alone unites the broken with God through Himself.
Being united through Christ all believers are united to each other.
That unity is for the Glory of God and is reflected in a diversity of people from a diversity of backgrounds with a diversity of callings.
Each man glorifies God by serving his fellow man through the calling that he has been given.

lc

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #3 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Discounting the first two yes.

In John 20... Jesus asks God to not only bless his current disciples but those to come, I had not noticed that till now.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecanoe View Post
That unity is for the Glory of God and is reflected in a diversity of people from a diversity of backgrounds with a diversity of callings.
lc
Um,hum, can you elaborate on that unity some more? John 17:21 puts a pretty fine point on it.

Bob, those first two fit in here as well. Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and End. That is all inclusive.

Col. 3:11 says that there is no difference in believers, we are all one and Christ is in us. All of these verses speak to the Body of Christ which is the Universal Church.

><> John 3:1-8
><> Romans 12:2
post #5 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilysDad View Post
Um,hum, can you elaborate on that unity some more? John 17:21 puts a pretty fine point on it.

Bob, those first two fit in here as well. Jesus is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and End. That is all inclusive.

Col. 3:11 says that there is no difference in believers, we are all one and Christ is in us. All of these verses speak to the Body of Christ which is the Universal Church.
Jesus would still be the Alpha and Omega if every human ever born rejected him, so I see no connection.

RR
post #6 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
These passages are for those who are in Christ and are I dwelled by the Holy Spirit.

Each man glorifies God by serving his fellow man through the calling that he has been given.

lc
are I dwelled by the Holy Spirit. ??
post #7 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 10:01 PM

Only you can answer that question.

I'd suggest that you read 1 John 5:13. Then go back and do an in depth study on the book of 1 John. At the end you will be able to answer your question.

There is nothing in the world so damaged that it cannot be repaired by the hand of almighty God.

I encourage you to know this because without this certainty we should all of us be mad.

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #8 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:

lc
If I neglect the body for the sake of the world, am I glorifying God? That is what I am contemplating this season, as humanism is rising in my mission field. Would it not be more accurate to say each BELIEVER glorifies God by serving the body first, and serving their neighbor? I see much in progressive Christianity that smacks of humanism - emphasis is on service to the world, while the gospel work in and through the church takes a back seat, if its done at all.

If we follow your chain of logic, it would seem the last sentence would be each believer ... fellow believer (i.e. the one with which he is united in Christ).

Held Fast
post #9 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:23 AM

Tn.

Thanks for the question. I'll try to give a coherent logical answer. I read into your question a concern that we not adopt the model of social Gospel and Christian philanthropy as a means to favor with and service to God. Synergism.

My thoughts are more along the lines of the two great commandments. Paul later breaks this down to love of neighbor. Love of God must exist for love of neighbor to be extended. How do I love my neighbor? By serving him. How do I serve him? By fullfilling my calling with excellence. In so doing I am giving a cup of water in His name.

Evangelical theology has burdened those in the pew with the law based mandate that they are all to be little street preachers. Everyone they meet being a mark with which to share the gospel.
That's a nice law based idea. "You aren't doing enough witnessing".

That is not the only means and way which God calls his people to serve. The engineer working at Boeing designing air foils is serving his fellow man by designing the best air foil that he can. While he is working I want him thinking air foil rather than how to win the company to Jesus.
As he is there fulfilling his calling he will have ample opportunity to share his faith and the hope that he has in Christ.

I know of an incident which happened last week. A healthcare worker was dealing with a younger woman who was beginning to cycle into episodes of exacerbation of COPD related to heavy smoking. Fulfilling the calling of vocation the healthcare worker gave great care and concern to the woman concerning health. The lady recognized the level of care, something beyond a "you just need to quit smoking" speech. She was immensely thankful. A cup of water was given in Christ's name. The giving of that cup opened the door for the person to speak of hope and share the Gospel.

Each man serves and Glorifies God through the calling he has been given. This is a large part of the good works prepared for him.

lc

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie
post #10 of 133 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 AM

LD

Concerning unity of the body my mind is a always taken to Hebrews 11. The great cloud of witnesses. As believers we are part of that great cloud as are those who will follow. I look at it as a tapestry. A tapestry of faith. Each of us is a single strand of thread that is woven into that tapestry which stretches from the beginning of time to the end. We each don't know what tint or hue we lend to the whole. We are part and are called to play our role faithfully while God does Hismworkmin the world. One day we will see the bigger picture and the tapestry of faith will be revealed and we will understand.

The unity has implications in the present but we are also intricately tied to the past and the present.

I may not have fully answered but that is the results that I think of concerning our unity in Christ. Throw me another question if I have gotten off track from the intent of your thread.

lc

Poirot
"Appointment with Death"
By Agatha Christie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page