Ordered a 223 Hunter Compact - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Looking at the pictures I really need to get a better background for taking pictures.

As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I just finished up sizing some once fired brass. From what I read you want to size it without pushing the shoulder back. So I set up the die to just stay off the shoulder. The brass chambered fine with good action lockup. I did the same for my Handi Rifle in 223. I'm going to do a side by side comparison to see how they do against each other. I've never fired a 223 before so I'm really looking forward to it. I kind of like the size of the case. I'll let you know how that goes after loading tiny, to me, bullets in them.

As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. Psalm 42:1
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I measured the 2 guns for cartridge OAL using a 55 gr fmj. The Handi definitely has a much longer throat. 2.39" vs the 2.23" for the Hunter. If I load the Handi for the max there is barely any bullet metal left for the case neck to grab hold of. This will be interesting. Accuracy will be hindered if I seat the bullet deeper since it will have quite a jump before it hits the lands. The CVA has the bullet with the cannelure centered with the case mouth. With a 2" longer barrel and more powder room the Handi ought to have an advantage as far as velocity is concerned. But my main issue between the two is consistent accuracy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Default Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbshtr View Post
I just finished up sizing some once fired brass. From what I read you want to size it without pushing the shoulder back. So I set up the die to just stay off the shoulder.
Hey friend,

You can take this for what it's worth................ I have experienced accuracy issues with the Handi rifles trying to use once fired brass shot in the same rifle. It seemed to lockup fine but would not hold a group. It would shoot all over the place, no consistency. So.......I now always bump the shoulder back just a hair to make sure the rifle is completely locked up. Never experienced any issues with my CVA's but have adhered to the procedure of bumping the shoulder slightly.

Pastor, NewLife Worship Center
(Retired) Automotive Technology Instructor, West Feliciana High School
Avid Shooter, Hunter, Fisherman and owner of Handi & CVA Rifles
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 AM

Gun Cabinet

Just a suggestion any time you load rifle shells that were fired in another rifle you should full length resize them as said until you fire form them in your rifle they may or may not chamber or accuracy will be bad after firing them in your rifle then set the die as to not bump the shoulder more or less neck size

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Good to know. I did have to adjust the sizer several times before I was able to close the action and hear and see a secure click. If I get the the accuracy issues I know I have to go just a little further sizing them. I only have about .020" of adjustment left before contact between the shell holder and die. How far do you keep the bullet away from the lands? I'm used to cast bullets being snug in the throat. Loading for single shots with jacketed bullets is new for me.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbshtr View Post
I measured the 2 guns for cartridge OAL using a 55 gr fmj. The Handi definitely has a much longer throat. 2.39" vs the 2.23" for the Hunter. If I load the Handi for the max there is barely any bullet metal left for the case neck to grab hold of. This will be interesting. Accuracy will be hindered if I seat the bullet deeper since it will have quite a jump before it hits the lands. The CVA has the bullet with the cannelure centered with the case mouth. With a 2" longer barrel and more powder room the Handi ought to have an advantage as far as velocity is concerned. But my main issue between the two is consistent accuracy.
Not always true ...
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

A humbling experience. I went to make dummy rounds for both guns and the action wouldn't close although I kept setting the bullet deeper. Turns out I had to fully size them for both guns to get proper lockup. Not using my col tool the CVA Hunter measured 2.255" and the Handi I set at 2.335" with the dummies. The Handi was longer than that but because of the boattail there was nothing for the case to hold. How I set it for now gives me over 1/8" of bite on the bullet. These are both just starting points. Once I see where the best load is by powder charge I can start experimenting with the other variables.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Today I happen to think of measuring the cases for trim length. They weren't bad but I trimmed them to 1.75". I've forgotten how much time is required for load development. Do you guys crimp your jacketed bullets for these single shots? I have a Lee crimp die but if I don't need it that will save some time loading these up.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Loaded up about 35 rounds each for both the Handi and the Hunter. Using 55 gr fmj bullets, AA 2230C powder and CCI primers will get me started to see what these guns will do. Never shot a 223 before so I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm usually shooting mid to large bore cast bullets so this will be a break from the heavy recoil. We're suppose to get up to 18" of snow tonight so not sure when I'll be able to get to our range. It's about a mile off the paved road and will need some warm weather to melt it all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page