Adirondacks of Upstate NY - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Default Adirondacks of Upstate NY

I'm not happy with politics and shady govt officials in NY but love the camping, scenery and wildlife.
Here's some shots using my Canon SX50.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Nice pictures. Contrary to what everyone believes, NYS is fantastic, and has a lot of undeveloped land. It's just ruined by NYC politicians.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

A statement of fact: H&R Huntsman & Sidekick blued barrels are made of 4140 steel.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:20 PM

Gun Cabinet

Good pics and beautiful country! Thanks for the post! We down here have trouble realizing that there is NY, and then there is NYC

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:08 PM

Great pictures. I got to see things that I''ll never see in person. Please post some more.

The bridge cameras take excellent pictures. My original zoom camera was a Canon IS3. It's still taking good pictures and my 8 year old GGdaughter is learning with it. I've worked my way up with more zooms over the years and my Christmas present this year was one with 65X. I have to drive quite a few miles to mountains, even more to see an eagle, and a long, long way to find a river like that. Deer I can find and antelope are plentiful but everything is at a long distance. My son retired last year and got back to taking pictures with a new camera but he went the DSLR route. We get out together a lot and take pictures of the same things and compare shots.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
Good pics and beautiful country! Thanks for the post! We down here have trouble realizing that there is NY, and then there is NYC
That is something I had trouble explaining to my friends back when I was in the military. Many seem to picture NY as all tall buildings and sidewalks. While that is true of NY City and to a lesser extent, the other 3-4 cities in the state, there is much more to offer..even though we suffer from the voting power being centered in the cities, particularly NY city.
Outside the cities, we prefer to look at it this way.

#1) NY City, what everybody thinks (traveldk.com photo)

#2) The Adirondack region (punditintendds.comphoto)

#3 Rest of NY State outside the Adirondacks (TeddyLlovet/Flikr photo)

#3 is what it is mostly like where I live.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	traveldk.com.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	148153  

Name:	punintendedconsequences.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	148161  

Name:	Teddy Llovet...flicker.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	148169  

" Men must be governed by God, or they will be ruled by tyrants." (William Penn)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:32 PM

I saw a bald eagle a couple of weeks ago. I get excited every time.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM

We have the golden eagle here. Not quite as large as the bald eagle but still king of the raptors in this area. There is a large pecan orchard/grove/farm about a mile north of me and every year there is a pair of golden eagles there. I sit on the patio and watch them from early spring until the middle of summer and then they are gone until the following spring. I'm going to get closer and see if I can get some pictures of them with my new camera this year. They are probably the reason why I hardly ever see a jackrabbit around here.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 AM

Years ago I crossed Lake Champlain from my home in the mountains of Vermont to try out some of that famous New York whitetail hunting. Terrific deer in NY. Although I did not fill my tag, I spent two+ days wandering the 'big woods' around Blue Ridge with my '06 and my backpack and two nights camping wherever I ended up when daylight expired. Those two days and two nights were as close as you can come to a wilderness experience anywhere from Michigan east to Maine and south along the Appalachains. At the end of day two I waded the Boreas River at dusk and bushwhacked the last half mile to the truck with Orion rising over my shoulder in the southeast sky. I was completely fulfilled by the experience, buck or no buck, and I recommend the Adirondacks without reservation to hunters and hikers alike. That's quite an admission coming from a native Green Mountain Boy, given our history with the "Yorkers".

Last edited by mrchongo; 01-11-2017 at 10:39 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

With leaves off the trees now, I've been seeing hawks, believe they're red-tailed? All I have to is roll down the van window and shoot. Expecting a camera window mount to be arriving tomorrow.

Mrchongo, I stopped hunting a few years ago, too many crazy's in the woods. Never met a Vermonter I didn't like though

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 AM

Some more great pictures.

Redtails are our predominant hawk here but we have no trees for them to perch in, just mesquite bushes. It's common to see them sitting on highlines or fencepost and they will let you drive right by them but if you stop they are gone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page