ouachita national forest? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Default ouachita national forest?

Can you hunt deer in this national forest? I have some land near there but would like to check out his big track of fine looking country for deer hunting.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 02:54 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet
Default Re: ouachita national forest?

you use to could,but it's been a while
since i've even been to oklahoma.
i think some areas require a permit.
the u.s.d.a. site should have the info
you're looking for

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

I looked and it only mentions small game and waterfowl?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 02:11 AM

Here ya go. 225,000 acre WMA
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fa...italeflore.htm
Deer, turkey, bear, coyotes, bobcats, etc., etc, etc.
Food plots and over 800 ponds.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. How about the part of the national forest that is not in the link? The Ouachita WMA is hardly a fraction of the area. There are other WMA's listed and shown on the maps that are in the National forest but there is a lot that is not part of a WMA. I would like to hunt where the country has not been "improved".

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickt300
Thanks for the link. How about the part of the national forest that is not in the link? The Ouachita WMA is hardly a fraction of the area. There are other WMA's listed and shown on the maps that are in the National forest but there is a lot that is not part of a WMA. I would like to hunt where the country has not been "improved".
I could hardly imagine that they've "improved" two hundred and twenty-five thousand acres. I'm sure you could get lost if you tried.

I've hunted WMA's in Texas. But nothing anywhere close to that size. And none were improved at all that I could tell.

If you don't like the WMA, I'm sure you could find more information on places to hunt by googling "Oklahoma Ouachita National Forest Hunting".

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

I have done the google thing. I too have hunted many of Texas's WMA's, especially Richland Chambers and the way they run them is the turn off. Opening day of archery season several years ago we all ( have to camp outside of entrance) headed in to the WMA only to be stopped by the fatheads running the WMA so they could hold all of us up while they did insane things like measure the first guys broadheads, completely search his truck and then start to hassle the second truck. It was 8am by the time they let us pass. That evening a young hunter brought in a 6 point buck, his first and all the WMA head could do was bitch about what a crime it was to kill this legal buck and that he wanted to make archery deer hunting a drawing only thing. He got what he wanted. So yes I can't see much improvement on the WMA's in Texas.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I have done the google thing. I too have hunted many of Texas's WMA's, especially Richland Chambers and the way they run them is the turn off. Opening day of archery season several years ago we all ( have to camp outside of entrance) headed in to the WMA only to be stopped by the fatheads running the WMA so they could hold all of us up while they did insane things like measure the first guys broadheads, completely search his truck and then start to hassle the second truck. It was 8am by the time they let us pass. That evening a young hunter brought in a 6 point buck, his first and all the WMA head could do was bitch about what a crime it was to kill this legal buck and that he wanted to make archery deer hunting a drawing only thing. He got what he wanted. So yes I can't see much improvement on the WMA's in Texas.
I see what you mean. I'm not familiar with camping at WMA's. But the ones I've hunted had several places you could enter if you don't mind parking on the side of the road.

But most National Forest lands allow you to use the logging or fire roads. And I've camped next to the truck on these roads without being bothered.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 06:54 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:
mr. gunnels would like to be able to say that because of his game management
practices that he raised the next record hagerman type deer, and it was because
of the way he does things. they want everyone to sit up and take notice. he runs the
place like it was his own private game ranch instead of the public's land. notice
that his son always gets drawn and always takes big bucks. i don't know how he
talked them into flooding the north side, but it sure ruined a lot of prime deer habitat.
one year during a youth hunt, he confiscated a young boy's first deer and bitched at
him and made him cry. he should have received a royal a$$ whippin right then for making
the kid cry. it's my opinion that a first time kid hunter should be able to take the first
thing that walks by, but that's just me. i've also been in a "discussion" about the
stupid way they run the hog hunting and use paid trappers on the wma's. i was told
that if they were to allow hog hunters to use whatever firearm whenever, that if someone
were to see the big buck that it would be too much temptation to shoot it. i told them that
it was already illegal to shoot deer out of season, but all my reasoning fell on deaf ears.
i think they've since relaxed on some of the hog rules, but i no longer get a public permit,
so i don't know for sure. i hunt at a friend's place when i get to, and can shoot out of
the back window if i wanted to with whatever firearm or bow when i want to during legal hours
or climb any tree or lay in the mud if i want to. those biologists and managers at the wma's
sure never get on the adjacent land owners for riding atv's or hopping the fences, or
setting up a blind right on the fence. i've seen that a bunch of times, but they sure don't
mind chewing on those that pay the bills.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 09:26 PM

Last time I checked into hog hunting there it was rimfire only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page