Who's been hunting? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Who's been hunting?

Its been hot and dry here in NE AR Passed some does during bow and muzzle loader season. Shot one squirrel for the pot at camp and went up the the Spring River and caught our limit of trout.
Finally got an 8 pt buck the 2nd day of rifle season. The big full moon made the morning hunts futile. The buck came strolling thru the woods at 3 pm. Heard the deer harvest was down this year, which could be due to the hot weather or people afraid of the CWD found in the N central part of the state.
Duck season opens tomorrow and we have the decoys out. But had to pump up a few acres around the pit as there was no water in the area. Partner saw three ducks on the pond yesterday so maybe we'll get to shoot a few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Who's been hunting?

I've been hunting most days since MG season opened. I have been seeing deer every sit on my stands. I'm going again today since it has cooled off.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

I guess it cooled off enough to push a few ducks south. Three of us got eight teal and a gadwall on Sat. I got reports of some people limiting out on mallards that pumped up rice fields. We take Sunday off but we will try it again tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:26 AM
BKS

Been hunting in SE Arkansas the past two weekends. Im gonna take a break this weekend, haven't been seeing anything to speak of. Killed a small doe with my handgun, first ever though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:35 PM

I tagged out Saturday. I almost hit 2 driving to deer camp. Put my hunting clothes and saw 6 driving to get on my stand. Climbed the stand with 2 in view. in stand at 2. Shot an 11 point at 4. He was the 23d deer I saw out of the stand. saw one when I loaded him and another by the bar when I hung him up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 05:59 PM

fwiw, my dad moved the family to Texas back in late 1954, from Warren, Arkansas. Chuckle, the moonshiners in our part of Arkansas launched a campaign backing the preachers to have the counties in Dad's beer distributorship franchise voted dry. They succeeded, Dad's business ruined, we moved.

Anyway, one of my vivid memories of Warren, when around 5 or so years old, was going with Mom to downtown Warren, which was the county seat of Bradley County, in the S.E part of Arkansas. It'd snowed and it was deer season. Parked around the county courthouse were numerous cars with a deer strung across its fender. Mind you, the cars were circa 1950ish or earlier with big fenders. Recall, Mom had problem finding a place to park due to the number of them. All had come into Warren, to have a bite to eat at Wayne's place, a combination old fashion soda fountain, sandwich place, drug store, with about 5 snooker tables in the back room.

Chuckle, dad had a key to Wayne's place. He was quite good with a pool cue. Was a gent from Warren named Red Murf, who was a professional pool hustler. He'd leave Warren for a month or so, going across the country, winning money and return to Warren with his winnings till he spent it all and then go on the road again. Red had a key to the place too. Dad could give Red a good game playing snooker, beating him often. One time, some ignorant pool hustlers came into Warren and Red played one of them. Red let him win for awhile and began to win. Other guy, realizing what was happening, enticed my Dad to shoot snooker with him. Chuckle, Red and Dad cleaned the two guys out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page