Yotes - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Default Yotes

Now that we are in the heart of winter up here in Maine and all game seasons are over (except for poachers), what is there to hunt and keep our shooting eye sharp???....COYOTES! These are usually listed as varmints but a good culling is needed IMHO to help the yarded deer and the tick infested moose.
We can get, for a minimal fee, a night hunting permit for these critters. This allows us to hunt during restricted hours for any other game. If you are over 65 you get this permit free.
Northern Maine has a good snowpack this year and snowmobiles are ideal for this pursuit. Ask around local farms and local hunters to see where the critters are. Dress WARM, leave the aftershave at home, learn how to call or use an electronic call (some are heavy, hence the snowmobile), get an appropriate load for your rifle (remember, you are not shooting deer size critters) and set forth.
Hunting is always more interesting than re-runs and Baby Bo-Bo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 08:43 PM

I was just thinking about this today Sid. I was out on snowshoes during my lunch break and some fresh doe and skipper tracks in the snow. Right alongside those tracks were fresh coyote tracks. We all should get off the couch and get out in the woods this time of year.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

"Paper is poverty...it is the ghost of money, and not money itself."

--- Thomas Jefferson May 27, 1788

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 PM

Could you add raccoon to the list? Here in Texas I don't believe they have a natural predator. Plus you can make a nice coat out of the pelts.

Here in Texas we dont need snow shoes, it was 60 degrees today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Two years ago I was on an ice covered woods road in the northern part of the state and came upon a moose carcass or rather what was left of one. Hair, gnawed bones, hooves, and not a whole lot else. The area around it was snow packed down by coyote tracks. I don't know what killed the moose, disease, ticks, illegal hunting or what. I have a hard time believing a few coyotes could bring down a critter this big, but I know what I saw. I could see it happening on the ice where the moose could not get any traction but it would still be a far stretch of imigination.
This is coyote season...take advantage of it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 01:41 PM

I have hunted coyote a lot in VT and up in Aroostock County. Snowfall, depth, and deer behavior are major impacts this time of year. After a deep snowfall, the coyote are literally following deer herds in their footsteps. The deer will be breaking path, making the going easier for the coyotes and, with the coyotes pushing them, the deer tire and the weakest eventually fall behind, at which point the fresher coyote move in for a kill.

If you can cut deer trail on your snow machine, swing wide and get out in front to set up, you will often get a good shot(s) on coyotes with no calling required - they'll be right on the heels of the deer. Similarly, wounded deer calls in close proximity to deer sign will often yield much better/more rapid response because it is something the 'yotes are expecting.

Envy you the monster brutes you get Down East ;-) Enjoy!

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments. [/spoof]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page