Graybeard Outdoors banner

Portable shooting bench

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  charles p 
#1 ·
Actually I was taking a photo of the rifle on my bench while out shooting. Some where I do have a few photo's of it broke down fon travel. The top in 1 1/8 car decking (plywood). there are three hardwood pads underneath That the leg's attach to. they are cut at an angle so that the legs go down at an angle and all them point back to the center of the table. Those pads are screwed and glued to the under side and on each one in screwed a 4" pipe flange. The legs are 4" pipe and on the bottom of each is a pipe cap to keep the legs from sinking if the ground is to soft. Have a small folding camp stool to sit on but it's not the best. One of these days I'll replace it. Actually that stool replaced a 5 gal plastic bucket. Been using this table over 10 yrs now. Top lay's flat in the back of the Bronco and the leg's, sand bags and shooting stand lay on top.

I made a couple in the past smaller than this one but didn't use the hardwood blocks for the legs and only used 3/4" pipe, worked but not all that stable.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm offended. This bench clearly discriminates against left handers.:tango_face_smile_bi:tango_face_smile_bi:tango_face_smile_bi

#4 ·
I built basically the same bench several years ago. I used it mainly for caliche pit shooting. I put a small eye bolt on each side on the bottom and carried a plastic 5 gallon bucket and a piece of 1/4" nylon cord. Put some rocks in the bucket, set up the bench over it, tie the cord to one eyebolt, run it thru the bucket bail, take up the slack, and tie on to the other bolt. That made it a very solid shooting platform. I don't use it anymore. I sold my truck and it won't fit in the back of my jeep without removing the back seat. I use the seat more than the bench and that seat is a chore for one person to put back in.

#5 ·
Remember when we used to 'go to the range' with just a gun and a pocket full of ammo? TOO EASY!
I admire that bench D.F., nice work! Mine is a thick hunk o' scrap plywood c-clamped to the corner rails of my back deck rail and a 'real' 4-legged plastic lawn chair.......plop on the bags, settle in and Im good for my backyard 50yd. Im reluctant to move, been here goin' on 35yrs and not only I, but neighbors around & about shoot too. Seems like America here.....
Iffn I didnt have such your bench would be a nice project. Looks like a guy could use it for the Coleman stove too :tango_face_wink:

#6 ·
Not being picky, but those legs look a lot smaller than 4 inch diameter. Great idea, though. Mine is a piece of plywood with a 2x4 screwed to the bottom. I clamp the 2x4 in my "Workmate" portable workbench and I'm good to go if I can find a level spot to set it on. ~WH~

#7 ·
Legs are 1¼" pipe IIRC, 4" pipe flanges are used according to the Aero Aces plans I used that I posted, the 3-legged design is real easy to level on uneven ground, I have two of em so I don't have to shoot alone. :tango_face_smile_bi

Tim

#8 ·
That Aero Aces table is just what I've been looking for to build. I have a similar standing table made of steel that is great, but a pain to move. Been wanting to make a portable.

#10 ·
About 15 years ago I made this portable shooting bench from plans I found on the net under booger board shooting bench. All but the legs are recycled. of course the stain I got at Home Depot off the OOP's rack for $5.00. It has been a great bench and travels well even in the back of my CJ7Jeep. It is also a lefty combatiabilty bench and my hunting partner could use it.

I also built the rifle rest as a prototype but worked so well as wood I never did make a steel one.

:D Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.