Indiana Rifles - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Indiana Rifles

I'll say this.
While my son and I heard a lot of shots opening morning, most of them were 1 single shot going off or maybe an occasional second shot.
Also could tell they were center fires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:43 PM

Round here, still hearing shotguns and what sounds like handgun rounds. I know there are some rifles out there. I just hope they are up in the trees shooting downward. Or at least know what is in the back drop.

Lonny

INDIANA GUYS, WE HAVE OUR OWN FORUM Here>>http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,249.0.html
GBO SERVER DONATION INFO
: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,12050.html
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

But, back to my original question. Will Indiana add more of a variety of calibers before 2020?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM

Answer: Nobody knows.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:04 AM

The political side of this will never catch up to the technical side. PA did a ballistic study on what is safer? Slugs? Rifle? Muzzleloader? The test firearms included 12 Ga. Win Partition Sabot, 30-06 180 gr and 250 grain with 150 gr pellet load in mz. This was done by an outside 3rd party ballistic laboratory MountainTop Technologies Inc..
http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/Resour...eports/125.pdf
Page 4 - Summary
[size=20px][/size]Conventional wisdom holds that shotguns are inherently less risky than rifles when hunting deer. This is evidenced by the fact that the PGC as well as other states have[size=20px][/size][size=20px][/size]established shotgun only hunting areas. This study, however, has concluded that this is not always the case.Stated in a few words, when considering extreme, high, and moderate firing errors(35, 10 and 5 degrees firing elevations), shotguns and muzzleloaders are less risky than the centerfire rifle. When firing with smaller or no aiming error (approximately0-degrees firing elevation), a shotgun proved to be riskier than a centerfire rifle. The muzzleloader was always less risky than both the rifle and shotgun. Eliminating or controlling the ricochet seems essential if the shotgun is to be used as an effective risk management option. If ricochets could be controlled, then the shotgun and muzzleloader would be less risky in all cases.[size=20px][/size]
PGC staff began by checking with wildlife agency representatives from the states immediately surrounding Pennsylvania as well as from Michigan and Wisconsin. Allhave substantial areas where centerfire rifles are restricted and PGC staff sought to understand the motivation and factual basis upon which these states had made theirdecisions. Of Pennsylvania’s approximate 900 miles of border with other states, it was found that the centerfire rifle was unlawful along the entire boundary with theexception of western Maryland. They found that in no case was any state able to provide definitive information upon which they based their decision. In fact, mostreported that they simply responded to the public perception that shotguns were less dangerous than centerfire rifles. At that time, PGC staff found there was no data tosupport the contention that shotguns and muzzleloaders are any less risky than centerfire rifles. They found, instead, that in the “shotgun-only” states this appearsto be “an issue driven by emotion and politics rather than sound scientific data.”
This is a real interesting read and when takes into consideration that most shots fired are at the zero elevation of the firearm, the shotgun is purported to be riskier than other two firearms tested.

What say you?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety." Ben Franklin
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjbloomington View Post
But, back to my original question. Will Indiana add more of a variety of calibers before 2020?
I have heard that legislation has already been introduced to open it up to any caliber from .243 on up. Who knows how accurate that is or if it will ever get anywhere, but that's what I heard. I'm going to hold off trimming down my 45/70 brass in hopes that the law will change
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Gun Cabinet

I've heard it too. My fingers are crossed that I don't have to trim anymore 35 Rem or 45-70 brass.

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot .243 Win, 358 Win, 6.5x55, 6.5 Grendel, 45-70 Govt, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 35 Rem
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Yeah but trimming brass isn't that big of a deal to me because it's easy to do and I really only need a handful of cases and they usually last a long time. The bigger issue for me was finding 35 Remington brass for a while so I resorted to making it out of .243 and .308 cases. I can certainly see the appeal to a wider variety of cartridges (I personally have a .270 I'd love to use) but I don't really feel like we're lacking options. What this thread doesn't question is whether or not they will ever open up these rifle calibers to public land or keep them to private land. Maybe that's why I don't have a strong opinion right now because I only get to hunt public land.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page