Are We Required To Be Holy? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Default Are We Required To Be Holy?

Hebrews 12:14
Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the lord.

Does this mean, without holiness, no one will see the lord?

God, by His nature, is holy
Do we not become holy in our walk with (our dedication to) Christ? Do we not become more holy as we grow spiritually?

2 Timothy 2:21
Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for every good work.

1 John 3:9-10
No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God. By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

1 Thessalonians 4:3-4
For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor.

Is holiness not the will of God for our lives?

Is it not important that we pursue the definitions of "holiness" and "righteousness" as God intended for us to understand them as written in His word?

May God Be With Us In Our Discernment!

Blessings

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Default Re: Are We Required To Be Holy?

No.... only that we constantly strive to be more like Jesus. We can never be Holy.

democrats are in favor of the wholesale slaughter of God's most precious; unborn babies.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

1 Peter 1:15-16
But as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct. Since it is written, "You shall be holy, for I am holy."

Leviticus 11:44
For I am the Lord your God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy.

Leviticus 1:2
Speak to all the congregation of the people of Israel and say to them, You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy.

Leviticus 11:45
For I am the Lord who brought you up out of the land Egypt to be your God. You shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.

Ephesians 1:4
For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love.

The word "holy", "holiness", "saint", and "sanctify" comes from a Greek root meaning to set apart to God.

Holy or holiness carries a strong connotation of moral purity, however moral purity is not what scripture is talking about. The most basic meaning of the word is to be "set apart" or "dedicated" to God, to "belong" to God. Biblical holiness, from the new testament, describes a unique relationship that God has established and desires with his people. This relationship has moral ramifications, but it precedes moral behavior. Before we are ever called to be good, we are called to be holy.

If we fail to understand the biblical meaning "holy" as it relates to our relationship with God, we fall into the trap of reducing holiness to mere morality.

There are many verses in scripture that command us to be holy.

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

Holiness only results with a right relationship with God by believing in Jesus Christ as our savior.

Holiness is the will of God for our lives.

This is the way I have come to understand "Holy". And yes, I believe man was created to be holy.

Please study and discern for yourself.

May God be with you in your studies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi

Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the lord.

Does this mean, without holiness, no one will see the lord?
[size=1em]Yes. [/size][size=small]That level of holiness requires perfection, a total holiness without a single spot or blemish of sin. [/size]

[size=1em]Obviously we are doomed. No matter how hard we may try no human can accomplish that requirement - the sins of murderous childhood rage and selfishness before we even knew they were wrong destroys the possibility of holy perfection. But, fortunately, we can be imputed the holiness of One who really was perfect and died to buy us out of the penalty we deserve; meaning because of the Lord we can see the Lord. Thru Him, we can be un-doomed![/size]

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:24 AM

We can only be as Holy as God thru Christ Jesus and then we are imputed Holy or Holiness is imputed to us.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Can holiness be imputed to us?

Is it not up to us to set ourselves apart from the rest of the world and dedicate ourselves to Christ thereby then making ourselves holy?

Once we accept Christ as our savior, we repent for our sins, is it not then that we are able to receive imputed righteousness by allowing Christ to live within us?

A gift from God through Jesus Christ.

Many Blessings
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi
Can holiness be imputed to us?

Is it not up to us to set ourselves apart from the rest of the world and dedicate ourselves to Christ thereby then making ourselves holy?

Once we accept Christ as our savior, we repent for our sins, is it not then that we are able to receive imputed righteousness by allowing Christ to live within us?

A gift from God through Jesus Christ.

Many Blessings

Well, I will not get into repentance of sin---I don't think that is a possibility---feeling sorry is about the best we can do.
Faith in the knowing of Christ Jesus as purely God--knowing this is the gift--and before you can even consider whether or not to accept christ, you have done so. It is at that moment, in what we call time, grace has been applied and Holiness has been imputed---the rest is just public confession.
Walking the isle, filling out a card, being baptised is NOT a part of salvation.

Many--and I was one--want to avoid **** and think they can do so by some formula---salvation is a personal experience that cannot be denied nor can it be argued and decided that it was a wrong belief. Knowing is KNOWING and the gift.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 07:43 PM

yes we are

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

William, sorry you feel that way about repentance. To minimize God's command of repentance to a mere apology and maybe impossible at that,,,, well, I am not sure how to express the sadness that it brings.

True repentance will bring, all who experience it and understand it, a strong desire to bring glory to God. This first step towards salvation is a pretty exciting time in the life of a Christian.

Holiness is a command that we strive for. Being holy is gradually improved upon through sanctification of the Holy Spirit. Holiness is not imputed to us, but something we are commanded to become.

By allowing Christ to live within us, righteousness is imputed to us through Christ. When God looks at the Christian, He sees the righteousness of Christ. It is not our righteousness, but His.

Blessings
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM

Repentance and personal sorrow are vastly different. Spiritually, man's sorrow is not repentance and is not very helpful.

Paul, 2 Corinthians 9-11:

For the sorrow that is Godly according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter.

We aren't told to feel bad about our sins, we are told to repent.

I don't have a Phd, not even a BA. But I do have a DD214.

Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page