Graybeard Outdoors banner

What happened to SOLOMONS 1,000 or so wives and concubines upon his death??

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  47-70 
#1 ·
Silly question I guess. These women had been taken from all over Israel, or Judea to be wives or concubines to King Solomon. They were chosen more for their beauty more than anything and were very desirable for other men. Once accepted by the King they were bedded then kind of like put in storage I guess you could say. Many were given as gifts by poor families knowing they would have a wonderfully protected home with all their needs supplied.
Now. When the King died what became of them?? Were they continually kept and made comfortable?? Or were they released to their families and made available for marriage??
No trick question, I don't know the answer, I'm just interested in various opinions. CHARLIE.

#2 ·
I really don't know either, nor have I ever heard it brought up until you mentioned it.
I know I have heard it taught that Abram and Sarah had the child by Hagar as it was allowed by the
custom of they're day. Perhaps Soloman's wives were returned to their own as
it would have been the custom to do so as with other widows, they would have been free to marry again.
best wishes

#5 ·
GOOSHOT. I suspect that you are right.
GCRANK1. I'd appreciate that, thank you Sir. CHARIE.

#8 ·
BILL. Yes it was, I hadn't considered that because they belonged to the King of the land, but I suspect you are correct. CHARLIE.

#11 ·
I didn't get to ask our Pastor, both cars down AGAIN. Hopefully I can go next week. If they were released to their families, would the Kings children go with them?? 1,000 marriageable women suddenly available could cause a real stir. This is interesting. POWDERMAN.

#12 ·
This is speculation but pertinent to the times and customs:
The wives may have gone with the kingdom; ie, they go to the heir of the throne, the concubines are another question. Also,, since Solomon was 'well seasoned' some (many?) may have also been 'seasoned', hmmm what does a young king do?
The situation in Israel was that Solomon's son was Rehoboam and 10 of the tribes reject him as king going with Jeroboam as King of Israel to the north. Rehoboam rules the much smaller southern Kingdom of Juda. Would they have split up the wives and just how?
Pastor suggests finding a book on customs and manners of the Old Testament, and if he has something click in his head now he will consult his rather extensive personal library.
Conclusion? Your seemingly simple question has generated more......stay tuned.

#13 ·
The wives may have gone with the kingdom; ie, they go to the heir of the throne, the concubines are another question. Also,, since Solomon was 'well seasoned' some (many?) may have also been 'seasoned', hmmm what does a young king do?

GCRANK 1. The above is really what I was trying to say in my opening post, that the new King would inherit them to do with as he will. I can't rightly see these women being kept for life. Unless he is a King nobody else would suddenly be asked to feed, clothe, and shelter 1.000 women. POWDERMAN.

#15 ·
Solomon had 700 wives and 300 conubines. The wives were of "royal birth". (1 Kings 11:3)
Would it seem to much to expect that they went home to their families in surrounding nations?
Perhaps the concubines were easily absorbed by rich Hebrew men, since multiple wives were allowed.
There are of course, instances where the sons have taken over their father's concubines, distasteful today, but that was another age. Just as the OT practice of a surviving brother to take his brother's widow and produce children, would be distasteful to us..needs and conditions were different from today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.