7mm Remington mag for bear - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:15 PM

Gun Cabinet

I have a Remington 700 7MM Magnum that I hunt with especially corn field hunting 3-500 yard shot not uncommon. It will reach out and touch some one I don't flinch and am not recoil sensitive I shoot more in one year than most do in a lifetime. I had the Remington 700 action blue printed and trued had a shilen match grade SS hand lapped 28" barrel put on timney trigger at 1-1/2 pounds it will shoot 1/2" groups all day long at 100 yards The longest paper target shot, it shot 3" group at 300 yards. I hunted Canada and killed two Bear with a 7MM Magnum both DRT So the next time a guide makes a statement like that tell him there are some from down south who do know how to shoot.

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 PM

Guys, without a doubt, the 7mm remington magnum is completely acceptable for black bears. If your brother's guide doesn't think so, have him watch Ron Spomer 1 shot / bang flop this big black bear in BC.

post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:59 AM

Talking

This bear hunt was to take place in 2015 it is now 2017 so I think the bear hunt is over or the guide really sucks at getting you on a bear.

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 02:36 PM

I should say that was a DRT shot. Don't know where it was hit but it looked like a spine shot above the shoulder.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Gun Cabinet

Years ago a group of five of us went to Northern Ontario After the drive the guide showed us different locations where bear have been seen feeding We decided to go back to the cabin to hunt in the morning I laid down I was awaken and the rest said lets go out this afternoon I said you guys go I am too tired they drug me out of the bed So I dressed and off we went. The very first hour we hunted we all killed a Bear that time each man was allowed 2 the third day after passing on numerous really small Bear I saw this one who was a lot bigger than what I had been seeing I fired my Browning 7MM Mag He was dead Right in his tracks afterwards we found out he was 350 pounds He was the largest of the Bears killed that year. I really think the Bear population was over populated that being the reason for the size of the bears I had chances to go back but wasn't really interested in Bear gunting any more

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 AM

The county in which I live has a really good bear population, one of the top three in Virginia.

My brother owns 58 acres of woods, with a two acre field (that he created) right in the middle. He keeps it planted in clovers and orchard grasses. The tract of land is surrounded by small wooded tracks and a large corn farm on the back line.

There is a pretty large bear that roams through the place a couple of times per week. We have been seeing it on the trail cams for the past 3 years.

Guess I have gotten soft, but I have found that I have no real interest in hunting that bear. Somehow, sitting in a stand, looking out on a little field, in the middle of the woods, with the sound of traffic not far away, and waiting to shoot a bear that wanders into the field, just doesn't do anything for me.

He would wander in, I would put the crosshairs on his shoulders and squeeze the trigger, and that would be it. So then what? I've got a medium size black bear, that I killed in a woodlot, and would have zero interest in eating it. (Almost everybody in this county just hauls the bear carcasses to the local dump.)

I would have to spend $300 for a shoulder mount, and it would hang in my basement. It would not impress my friends or family. And what hunting story would I have to tell? "Oh yea, I drove out to my brother's place, about 30 minutes away, sat in his deer stand next to his little field, and shot it. There's its head."

Mannyrock
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
I should say that was a DRT shot. Don't know where it was hit but it looked like a spine shot above the shoulder.
Same thing I though. Had a 7mm mag years ago and got to where the only bullet I used in it was the 160gr Speer Hot Core. Back then Nosler partition's had an annoying problem for me. The jacket broke off at the partition and they weren't very accurate. If I were to go back to a 7mm mag today I'd shoot a 175 gr bullet for everything. Other rifle's I have will do most everything that old 7mm mag did with a lot less recoil. I used to love speed, still do in smaller cartridge's. But the beauty of the 7mm with 175gr bullet's is it hndles them very well, better than other 7mm cartridge's. If I were going to Alaska hunting I'd take my 30-06 with 180gr bullet's. His guide might mess his drawers over that.
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:50 PM

Default Re: 7mm Remington mag for bear

I have been shooting my 7mm Rem. mag for probably 35 years taken too many deer to remember how many. Over a dozen moose and probably 15 black bears couple were 7ft 6inch monsters. Reload my own shells using 130 gr. boat tail spitzers. Haven't lost a bear or moose yet, usually first shot kills all about shot placement. With a bear if shot placement isn't good and they starting spinning circles keep shooting as if they stop for a second and get their bearings they will run off. Hunted with others and tracking a shot bear in the bush is a test of your senses. A lung shot bear seldom goes more than 150 ft. Hind quarters are the best eating wild game you can get. This spring going to use an old 303 British that I scoped last fall, see how it performs. Used 444 on a few bears, bores a hole in them and found it doesn't shock as well as 7mm so they tend to run further, found same with deer.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Bear,

How dare you recite extensive real world experience instead of gross unfounded speculation! :-)

You make the rest of us look bad.

Mannyrock
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:49 PM

Default 7mm Remington mag for bear

Opps!!! Sorry mannyrock, can't help it just love shootin bears, have been going twice a year since 2010. It's about a 10 hr. drive to the area we hunt and in the coarse of a week we usually see close to 20 bears of all sizes. Baiting is not allowed as there are grizzlies in the area. My bear hunting partner shoots a 7mm as well using 150 gr. Imperial's but does not reload so I follow him around and pick up the brass. We are allowed two tags each but don't need a tag on farmland, sweet deal. Last spring he shot a wolf at close to 600 yds. using the 150's so 7mm is the ticket. I have taken a antelope and a few deer at over 500 yds. with the 130's. 7mm seems to be a little sensitive to bullet weights so find something and stick with it. The 303 I have doesn't seem to care what goes in the chamber, it will group 1 1/2 inch or less at 100yds. (all depends on me) so just got to try it on a bruin this spring.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page