7mm Remington mag for bear - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Default 7mm Remington mag for bear

My brother called me this evening sort of confused. He is going on a black bear hunt in Alaska. His plan is to use his 7 mag with 160 grn nosler partitions ( I recommended this combo to him.) He was told by the owner of the camp that they feel the 7 mag is a bit "light" for black bear? Another member of his party told him something similar. I know for a fact that the 7 mag loaded with 160 noslers will kill any game in North america. It may be a bit light for grizz/brown bear but other than that it's fully capable. He said the outfitter recommends nothing smaller than a 30 cal, including the 30-06. I got to wonder about this place with logic like that. Just wanted to know what you all thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:17 PM

Default Re: 7mm Remington mag for bear

I have an old PH 7mm RM and have shot almost exclusively 160gr NP out of it and I think it will be fine for black bear. While I haven't shot a bear with it yet I have taken moose, Elk and plenty of big mule deer. I don't see the 7mag having any problem with a black bear if the gun is pointed in the right direction!

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV Fluted, 30-30, 25-06 UH, 7-08, 223
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM

IF that guide is THAT afraid of blk bears, I think I'd be a little afraid to have him guiding me!!

Then again, I've never used a guide...

7 mag., loaded with 160NP's, at any reasonably range, is MORE than enough for ANY blk. bear on the planet!!

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

The noslers should do fine. The Alaskan Brown bear I saw shot with a 7mm Mag. wasn't injured because the bullets blew up in the fat. A 180 gr. Silver Tip from a .30-40 went clear thru from side to side and stopped at the hide on the other side. But... the 7mm had enough power to knock the bear over multiple times. Power needs the right bullet.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 10:45 AM

I have taken quite a few black bears with my 7 mag. 4 of them were 350 to 420 pounds. The 7 mag is plenty for any black bear. If the guide is worried about running into some of the other bigger bears in Alaska he may have a point.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
I have taken quite a few black bears with my 7 mag. 4 of them were 350 to 420 pounds. The 7 mag is plenty for any black bear. If the guide is worried about running into some of the other bigger bears in Alaska he may have a point.
From MY experience with hunting/shooting brown bears, the 7 Rem. mag., at any reasonable range, is MORE than enough gun/cartridge for taking any brown bear on the planet!

All I would do is, load it with 175NP's instead of 160's...

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:41 PM

I know why. most of the older guides think most people that shoot magnum rifles are flinchers. they were around when the magnum crap started by the gun makers started this to sell more rifles. just think if all of us still used our old 30-06 or 270's. the seven mag will go through any black bear end to end, with the 160 nosler partition. and will kill anything we have and 95% of the world. he has plenty of gun. advice--make sure he can shoot it well and teach the guide whats up. truth be known a good old 30-30 with 170 gn. corelocks would kill **** out of old blackie.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilling
IF that guide is THAT afraid of blk bears, I think I'd be a little afraid to have him guiding me!!...........

DM
My take on it as well. 0.62 mm do not make enough difference.

For myself I've shot two Blacks in BC, both were with large cal. cartridges because that is the rifle I had.

aka BBF
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
Then it is up to the Guide to take care of it. If he thinks a 7mm Mag isn't enough, the 30-06 wouldn't be either. His hunter may not have a Brown(Grizzly) tag anyway.

aka BBF
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatercat
............................. truth be known a good old 30-30 with 170 gn. corelocks would kill **** out of old blackie.
For sure and still are.

aka BBF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page