Graybeard Outdoors banner

Ruger 45 colt accuracy

9K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Darto 
#1 ·
I remember reading a while back (on GBO I think) that the oversize throat of the Ruger 45 colt made it hard to get good accuracy with cast bullets? Did I read/remember correctly or am I all wet? I'm thinking of a wheel gun again and the 45 colt is appealing to me with cast bullets. BTW I would probably be casting my own bullets as I already own the equipment (except for molds) to do so.

Thanks, Charlie

#28 ·
When Ruger announced the new vaquero I ordered one. In about a year I had it in my hands.
Barrel slugged at .4515 cylinder throats at .452.

It was more accurate than me but leaded up pretty bad. Accuracy would fall off after 50 rds. Had considerable thread choke that I lapped out.

Marshall Stanton has an excellent article on the Beartooth website about doing this. Ruger, Americas best do it yourself kit.

I couldent tell it shot any better after lapping but I often shoot 500 rds between cleanings. Maybe more.

For me a field handgun must be shootable with out ear plugs when hunting. The 45 colt with cast bullets is the most powerful handgun I can do this with.
I can't load a jacketed round that doesn't ring my ears.

While I've tinkered on mine a little it would be the last handgun I parted with willingly. I've taken several deer, two coyotes and who knows how many rabbits and grouse with it.

#29 ·
Marshall also has a good article on opening up cylinder throats without the need of a reamer. Just a drill press, a wooden dowel and some fine grit sandpaper. I did this on a sheriff's model (3 1/2" barrel) old Vaquero that I picked up. Cylinder throats were around 0.448, if I recall correctly. My first time doing this, and took them to 0.452 or thereabouts in an hour or so.

#30 ·
Not specific to the .45C but maybe not inappropriate here?
Ed Harris lapped out a 45acp cylinder with a 30-06 case and fine valve lapping compound to improve the transition from the case proper to the entry to the throats where there was a bit of constriction. IIRC it was in a magazine article??? I no longer have a .45C so I cant check if this would work in such a chamber if there is such an issue with one also.
I have yet to do so (cam e close, though), just shooting a box of hard ball through mine got rid of the leading issue (which was horrible!; leaded within 2 cyl.'s full). So far last year (that is, just up to yesterday ;) ) after about 30 rounds thru it there is no sign of leading. I am using .452 sized (and verified by mic.) cast bullets, which is large as unsized cases will take and still chamber with a final good thumb in. Note that this is with a SWC seated with the band flush with the case mouth (check and trim regularly) as these headspace at the mouth.
If the .45acp chambers have this transition issue I would think it possible that the .45C may also, it is a function of the machining process, not the specific caliber designation. When a cylinder gets finished reamed, after the factory job, it solves this, and more if needed to bring to workable size for cast. I cant help but wonder if the above would help as a first attempt if the cyl. mouths are at barrel groove dia. but the gun doesnt shoot cast decently? That tight transition just out of the case mouth cant be good.

#37 ·
some posts disappeared. remember no load posting unless you reference a manual you got it from. Keep the load posts to the reloading section

#39 ·
I have a Blackhawk .45 Colt that I bought back in 1980. At that time, I had a Super Blackhawk that was very accurate and wanted another caliber, so bought the .45. I was very disappointed with the the poor accuracy and excess leading, so didn't shoot it much. In the last few years, I've had time to research and learn about cast bullets and accuracy, so I slugged the bore and cylinder mouths and found that they were .451 and .454 respectively. Wanting a hunting load for elk and deer, I bought some 335 gr. LBT wide flat nose gas checked bullets from Montana Bullet Works, sized to .454. The first group at the range was 2" at 25 yards. I had been getting 6" or even 8" groups before.

Shooting bullets sized to throat size is the key to accuracy. I am going to try some plain base bullets in .454 to see if it solves the leading problem as well. Everything I read says it will.

#40 ·
One famous cast bullet maker says to test sized bullets in the cylinder by pushing it (the bullet) through the cylinder. The bullet should show very little friction and take only the smallest of push with a wooden rod to travel through the cylinder. He says this will make for an accurate shooter unless the barrel is way out of spec. The article mentioned the .45 blackhawk a few times and that was the gun used to make the article.

It's how I test cast bullets in my Blackhawk .45.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.