Will the 243 take a big un? - Page 4 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Will the 243 take a big un?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Go up to the small caliber forum and read all the reply's to the 22 center fire and deer hunting.
Got a 243 and loven it for deer hunting.

Al
Yeah I've been following that thread...I'm shocked that its so contentious. But there are those that believe that the center fire .22 is a great deer rifle.

Bare minimum caliber... The .243 is my bare minimum. 8)

“Lost?? Hmmm... been fearsome confused for a month or two, but I ain't never been lost!”
Henry Frap the "Mountain Men"

“Ain't this somethin'? I told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Mother Gue said to me; ‘Make your life go here, son. Here's where the people is. Them mountains is for Indians and wild men.’ "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.”
Del Gue in "Jeremiah Johnson"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:27 PM

.243 took this elk 2 weeks ago.

It's ALL about proper bullets and placement.

Oh yeah, it was one shot at 134 yds and travelled maybe 15 feet before it tipped over...can't tell me that the .243 is marginal for deer.
Go out and actually put one to use before you judge it.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 03:47 PM

when i was a kid, bout 60+yrs ago.....i had an old
singleshot bolt central arms .243.
and it payed its way for over 10 years hunting the bayou
swamps of Fourchon La.
with an unlimited known number of deer, hog and cat taken.

like previously said.....its where you put the bullet is what counts

sea-ya.....

Out of all the things I have lost I miss my sanity almost as much as my hearing and sight.
It don't matter cause I don't mind or is it I lost that too........

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:39 PM

just because I want a deer, elk, bear gun, I have a 257 weatherby mag. I'm old now, so I don't want my ars handed to me with a hard kicking gun and I want a flat shooting gun because I can't walk any more. I've killed both deer and elk with 257 with nosler partitions. it kicks about like my old 270.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 PM

I have burned out several 243 barrels, absolutely love shooting the cartridge. My 6MM Remington is still on it's first barrel put on it in 1981. This partly is because I hunt with it, don't treat it like a target cartridge like I will a 243 though it is a tackdriver but the sharper shoulder and long neck protects the throat better than the funnel shape shoulder and short neck of the 243. My next 243 barrel will be the 243 AI, hopefully this will provide a case with less trimming and more barrel life. But the truth is the 6MM and 243 have given quick kills on deer but are not my choice for night hunting feral hogs.

I stand for the Republic and all who oppose me be cursed!
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
AH HA! A kindred spirit! ;D The 243, while a great coyote cartridge, is marginal for deer! No doubt about it!

It's always been a wonder to me why the 25's are so much better then the 24's... :-\ I mean we're only talking a bullet .014 inch in diameter bigger here! But facts are facts! The quarter bore is a killer it is! ;D The 24's... not so much.

;D
The difference between the 24 and the 25 is the same as the 25 and the 26. Bullet's! My 243 I've never shot a hundred gr bullet through but have 87 gr. Didn't chronograph them. 117 gr bullet's from my 25-06 clock at 3079fps. According to my Hornady manual the 243 will get 3000fps with the 100gr bullet. The 25-06 exceedes it a bit but with a 17 gr heavier bullet. I believe that hevier bullet is stouter than the 100gr bullet. I have killed deer with the 100gr 25 cal bullet pushing 3300fps measured and it jurks the life right out of a deer, also destroy's everything it comes in contact with and a good area all around it, the 117 doesn't do that and seldom drops a deer where it stands. 117 enters amd the deer usually walk around less than ten yds and they just fall down. The key is not so much bullet dia as it is bullet construction! If all I had to shoot a deer with was a 22 RF it would be easy. But not much room for area and ya need to be close! May also be illegal in your state, is in mine!
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium700 View Post
Go out and actually put one to use before you judge it.
I'm glad this thread got brought up again! I can't believe Titanium suggested that I am lacking experience in the area of killing deer with a 243! He might just as well have questioned my ancestral ethnicity, parentage and hinted that my birth was under unfortunate circumstances!

I have in fact killed many deer with the 243! Probably as many, or more, with that cartridge as any other! As a matter of fact, I'll hopefully dispatch at lease one more with the 243 as I have a Handi in that cartridge that I've never hunted with!

So, in short, I have about a 40 + year history of putting that darn good coyote cartridge to use!

So there!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 06:56 AM

Talking

Quote:
I'm glad this thread got brought up again! I can't believe Titanium suggested that I am lacking experience in the area of killing deer with a 243! He might just as well have questioned my ancestral ethnicity, parentage and hinted that my birth was under unfortunate circumstances!

I have in fact killed many deer with the 243! Probably as many, or more, with that cartridge as any other! As a matter of fact, I'll hopefully dispatch at lease one more with the 243 as I have a Handi in that cartridge that I've never hunted with!

So, in short, I have about a 40 + year history of putting that darn good coyote cartridge to use!

So there!
Now Richard.. Titanium was just reacting.. you can put that big knife down... :tango_face_wink :

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
He might just as well have questioned my ancestral ethnicity, parentage and hinted that my birth was under unfortunate circumstances!
It's that "Gentleman" part of your signature that is the question at the bar...
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 05:31 AM

Gun Cabinet

I have hunted with a 243 for 25 years and have yet to loose a Deer It's not how big your packing it's all comes down to a bad shot is a bad shot and they run seems forever. Place that shot I'd rather let one go than to take a bad shot and loose the Deer

It is better to trust the Lord, than put your confidence in man
If we ever forget we are one nation under God, then we will be one nation gone under.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page