Copper headed water rattlers. - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Copper headed water rattlers.

When someone tells me they've killed a copperhead I assume they've killed a Northern Water Snake until I've seen it personally, especially if the story involves water. When someone tells me they've seen a "water mocasin" or "Cotton mouth" around here I assume they know very little about snakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Was in the woods last night shootin pigs, Had a lil copperhead cross trail right in front of me, did't say or do nothing cause my buddy wudda fainted and i wudda had to pack him out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkillr
When someone tells me they've killed a copperhead I assume they've killed a Northern Water Snake until I've seen it personally, especially if the story involves water. When someone tells me they've seen a "water mocasin" or "Cotton mouth" around here I assume they know very little about snakes.
Good points Duk!

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results means you are either insane or are making a New Years resolution.
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

I know what snakes are what. Lets see,,,the ones with rattles on their tails are rattle snakes. And then theres the rest of them. As you see I dont discriminate. They are all snakes.

Gen 3:14. And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. 15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Thats about all the reason I need,well except for I just dont like snakes.
post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerfan.64
I know what snakes are what. Lets see,,,the ones with rattles on their tails are rattle snakes. And then theres the rest of them. As you see I dont discriminate. They are all snakes.

Gen 3:14. And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life. 15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Thats about all the reason I need,well except for I just dont like snakes.
Now that just aint live and let live philosophy pardner! ;D It does remind me of the BC comic strip of old though!

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results means you are either insane or are making a New Years resolution.
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM

We have a lot of "Cotton Mouth Water Mocasins" in the deep south. If they are around, near, or in the water, have a dark coloration and a wide head, it is more than likely one of these. When they open their mouth it is white inside with fangs. I don't think they live too far north of Dixie due to the water freezing.
post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:30 PM

There's plenty of cotton mouths in the glades, so if your fishing lure gets stuck on some weeds don't go sticking your hand in for it.
post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie
If they are around, near, or in the water, have a dark coloration and a wide head, it is more than likely one of these.
Anybody ever see what was called a black water snake? I've heard about 'em. Not poisonous I was told. Looked like cottonmouths. Acted like cottonmouths...

Every snake I ever killed that looked and acted like a cottonmouth WAS a cottonmouth! But I've been with friends and seen a black snake slither into or drop into the water from an overhanging branch when we approached and been told "that's just a black water snake." Looked like cottonmouths to me... :-\

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Dee

Got lots of black water snake out here AtlLaw. They've got a pointed tail, and not a blunt one like a cottonmouth.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Yep, those black water snakes in the south do sure look like a Cottonmouth to me too. Can't tell much unless you are up close. Never saw a copper color water snake down here. Copperheads look like leaves, and don't bite until you step on them or get real close. They must think their camoflague hides them. At least rattlers give you a warning.
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL, Lk. Poincette, FL, Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzijohn
...he didn't think there had been enough time to call in an airstrike.
I blew lunch on the PC and am having trouble catching my breath from laughing so deeply...now that's good right there.
post #41 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
At least rattlers give you a warning.
Yup! Sounds like a dinner bell! ;D

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.

Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #42 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM

Dukkillr, I see you live in Kansas. Copperheads coloration look like leaves in the fall, brownish and orangish looking (copper color) varied in diamonds on their back like a rattler. They just lie still if one is walking or working around them thinking they are camoflaged. If you get too close or step on them, they snap back and bite you. They are a pit viper so they have an arrowhead shaped head copper colored. They are not usually found around water but in leaves, trash, and woodpiles. Very easy to step on one going down some wooded trail. Their size is smaller than a rattlesnake but can get up to 3-4' long. 50% of all poisonus snakebites east of the Mississippi are Copperheads, with the rest split between rattlers and Cottonmouths. Best to wear good boots and snake chaps from early spring to late fall down south or keep your eyes on the trail.
post #43 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Dukkillr, I see you live in Kansas. Copperheads coloration look like leaves in the fall, brownish and orangish looking (copper color) varied in diamonds on their back like a rattler. They just lie still if one is walking or working around them thinking they are camoflaged. If you get too close or step on them, they snap back and bite you. They are a pit viper so they have an arrowhead shaped head copper colored. They are not usually found around water but in leaves, trash, and woodpiles. Very easy to step on one going down some wooded trail. Their size is smaller than a rattlesnake but can get up to 3-4' long. 50% of all poisonus snakebites east of the Mississippi are Copperheads, with the rest split between rattlers and Cottonmouths. Best to wear good boots and snake chaps from early spring to late fall down south or keep your eyes on the trail.
Oh rest assured I know what a copperhead is. I grew up in a house on the south side of a wooded broken rocky draw. They were common in the rocks and wood piles, particularly in the warmer days of spring and the warmer days of late fall when they would sun themselves. But I also bowfish a great deal, particularly in swampy, marshy areas and small ditches and creeks. I see dozens of Northern Water Snakes every year. They look a lot like a copperhead in color and pattern, but only slightly duller and with a rounder head.

The point of my post was that most of the time when I hear a guy with a big puffed out chest talking about his mano-a-mano with a "copperhead" or a "water mocasin" they are generally wrong about what they saw. I simply choose to be skeptical until I've seen the snake myself.
post #44 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Me too. I let a non-poisonus snake slide. I do however kill poisonus especially around the house, usually not in the woods. I did see a black runner or coachwhip snake come by my house one time, fastest snake I've ever seen.
post #45 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM

dukkillr, trust me when i say copper head , not much water near my house . Also we have cotton mouths in the swamps here . Not many water snakes here big as a mans fore arm. Guess we are well educated here as we can compare them almost side by side on most fishing trips .

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page