Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertroadking View Post
I've seen a shot make animals curious, but the sound of working the action on a gun would scare them.
Immediately after a sound-barrier-breaking rifle report, jacking the rifle's action isn't that unbearable - except in the near-field. Would an animal in earshot flee following working the action? Perhaps, if they were not already shot, curious, dumbfounded, or had not already departed due to the rifle report.
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:25 PM

The Papoose I had was pretty accurate. Forget the details because it was probably 20 years ago that I owned it.

T/C Contender's with factory 10" and 14" barrels should fit the bill. The 10" barrel I've got that easily keeps groups under an inch with a couple different loads at 25 yards.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fischer View Post
When I hunt deer, I carry my 308 mod 788 for the deer, I also carry my mod 70 in 6.5x55 in case I see an elk, my 243 in case I see a coyote, my 410 in case I see a squirrel in a tree, a grouse, ect. On my belt a have my 32 long for squirrels on the ground, my 454 in case I run into a bear to close and my AR15 in case I run into an unreasonable pot farmer. It was a bit unhandy in the begining but you learn to live with it! Be prepared! :-)

LOL! Why not just get the 101st Airborne to tag along.? One would think the 6.5x55 would do it all with the proper ammo!

Any Republican not favoring Donald Trump should resign from office and become a Democrat.

"Newt G."
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 07:04 PM

The Cricket is the best alternative for the purpose asked by the OP. But, not just as it comes from the factory, but modified as follows:
http://www.rutalocura.com/PRK.html
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmaster7600 View Post
Henry survival rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly what I was going to recommend. https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/u-s-survival-ar-7/ http://www.gunblast.com/Henry-AR7.htm

Thanks, Dinny

I reload and shoot .243 Win, 358 Win, 6.5x55, 6.5 Grendel, 45-70 Govt, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 35 Rem
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 03:30 AM

I think I'd go with the Chipmunk/Cricket idea, synthetic camo stock, peep rear fiber front, and replace the take down screw with a knurled head. I'd probably carry it put together so I didn't have to fuss with it. My thoughts on it are that you could feed it CBs and subsonics ... something semi-autos don't enjoy as much ... to keep it quieter. And it would be lighter even than a T/C Contender with 10" barrel.

Held Fast
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 AM

Just work up a cast bullet load for your deer rifle that gives you a velocity of about 1,000fps. And shoot to the same place your crosshairs point. Use nickel cases to load them in so you can tell the different load from your hunting deer load.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 AM

I used to use my 257 weatherly mag deer rifle in Alaska to shoot the heads off phtarmican and grouse. I used the full power loads though.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckmaster7600 View Post
Henry survival rifle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Henry survival rifle. I enjoy shooting it, but a tack driver it isn't. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with it, but I wouldn't expect to shoot the heads off a squirel or anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page