Packable squirrel weapon? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Default Packable squirrel weapon?

Need a packable (inside a 3,000 cubic inch pack) weapon that can be pulled out and used for squirrel for those day hunts for deer when you only see the little critters moving. I am in parallel considering gallery loads for my 270 to do this but I'd like feedback from this group on an entirely separate arm.
What I know of, so far, and what I think of these options, includes;

Marlin Papoose - If the scope mounts on the receiver, how repeatable is this when it is assembled, knowing that I will not have the opportunity to verify my zero?

TC Contender with maybe the 10 or 14 inch rimfire barrel and pistol stock. How accurate are these with the stock barrels?

I see Ruger has a takedown of the 10/22 now so I suppose that is an option but I'd have the same concern as with the Papoose and the Marlin will likely be lighter.

Other than the above I don't know what options I have that can reliably shoot half inch twenty-five yard groups. I don't even know if the above guns can do it.

Thanks for the help guys.
Ed

Last edited by oldshooter; 12-09-2016 at 06:37 PM. Reason: a spelling fix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Gun Cabinet

I know ammunition is not always easily available but........there is no better squirrel killer than 17 Mach 2.
Does it have to be inside a pack? A short barreled single shot in 17 mach 2 is something I would consider.

or else...................

God Bless America and Donald Trump !
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:08 AM

The only one I have experience with is the TC Contender. A lot of people like the 10" barrels but I sold mine in favor of 12"-14" barrels. My .22lr s 14" and with ammo it likes will come very close to your 1/2" requirement at twice your stated distance. I have a rifle scope on mine and is easy to get use to on a rimfire.

Bruce

Lord, Please help me
Keep my small mind open
and my big mouth shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:43 AM

The Ruger 10/22 Takedown would be good. Scope mounts to receiver and when assembled the rifle will still shoot to the approximate point of impact prior to take down. I tested mine at 25 yards - 10 rounds and then took the rifle down - re-assembled and fired 10 more rounds - all 20 rounds went into a quarter size group, not much larger than a nickel size group using a 6X fixed scope, rested and Remington golden 22 ammo.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:06 PM

make your own portable packer 10/22:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...t=73873&page=2

C-

"As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.
― Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Sorry, here is a link w working pictures:
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../#post-1344043

C-

"As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us.

This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.
― Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:14 PM

I'd probably just go with a good quality .22 pistol (S&W, one of the Ruger Marks, Browning Buckmark, etc). All of them are plenty accurate for squirrels.

I'm not sure how many squirrels will stick around while you open your pack, pull out the rifle, and assemble and load it!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225 Send a message via MSN to gene_225

I believe, I'd go with a good pistol like the Colt Officers Model. If you really want a rifle, I like my Henry Survivor, but it takes time to assemble. A Remington Model 4 or 6, in good shape, would work fine as well and assemble quicker.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM

I carry my Ruger single six with the 22mag cylinder all the time while deer hunting. I have shot a squirrel or two while deer hunting but mostly coons early in the morning or late evening. Packs nicely on the hip easy to get to and no time to put together.
Have this on my Christmas list for it.
http://www.jackweigand.com/rsswms.html

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 10:02 AM

i'd probably go with my 10" barreled 22lr Contender pistol. Scope is an older K-3 riflescope, my hold has my thumb under the forend with my fingers on top of the scope. It was kind or weird at first but after shooting it some i really like this setup. I can shoot it as well as i can a 22 rifle.....Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page