When is the best time to catch a groundhog out in the open? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Default When is the best time to catch a groundhog out in the open?

A friend of mine has a problem with groundhogs under the barns and digging holes in the levee.

She says they aren't consistent as to when they come out. I'm thinking daybreak and just before dark. The maximum distance for a shot will be 30-40 yards and they are apparently spooky. I plan on sitting in the truck behind some weeds or up by the house.

Does anyone have any better ideas? What about poison as a last resort? Thanks.

Maybe I should have mentioned I'm in central Illinois. It has been hot with a draught, but has cooled off lately. She says she might see one at 8am, 2pm, and so on. The rain thing sounds good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 04:19 PM

Default When is the best time to catch a groundhog

I saw one today at around 1pm esdt...here in SE Tennessee.....as the weather cools down they will start to come out later in the day......

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 04:22 PM

I live in the Southern fringe (Arkansas) of the Groundhog's territory & yes
especially in hot areas early & late is better, but in my area at least not right at dark in the afternoon's, a little before. I think in areas with big predators they are in their den before dark.
But no doubt in my mind the best time is right after a good rain. I have had my best shooting after a good afternoon rain.

You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 08:10 PM

IF YOU KNOW WHERE THE DENS ARE YOU CAN USE A BLIND. EARLY IN THE MORNING, UNTILL IT GETS HOT! THEN IN THE EVENING AFTER IT COOLS OFF A BIT.
YOU CAN GET A CLOTH BLIND AT WALLMART, AND SIT ON A CHAIR.
I DONT KNOW ABOUT POISONS BUT I KNOW THEY WORK.
I HAVE HAD AS MUCH FUN HUNTING GROUNDHOGS, AS BIG GAME!
COOPERSHOOTER.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 11:56 PM

I shot two in my backyard last summer. Both were in the morning, but not early--I'd say around 8:30 am. I spotted them on mornings that I was leaving the house later than normal. I think on most days they didn't leave their dens until after I left for work.

In prior years, I shot quite a number around my parents' house--a few were in the afternoon, most were in the early evening.

So, my experience is that they come out in the morning--but not too early--and in the late afternoon/early evening. Good luck.

NRA Life Member
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 12:41 AM

Between 2, and 4 hours after sun up, and right after a rain shower are the best times. Id set up a pop up blind, or other good "hiding place", and wait in the mornings if I were you, unless you can capitalize on a short rain shower to bring them out.

Groundhogs come out after the rain because they like to lick the water off the grass. They usually don't have access to water very often, and get the majority of their moisture from the vegetation they eat. When it rains they come out in droves to take advantage of all the fresh moisture within easy reach of their holes. Groundhogs are also active at night(contrary to poplular belief). They do a good bit of "hole digging" after dark.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Lester
Between 2, and 4 hours after sun up, and right after a rain shower are the best times. Id set up a pop up blind, or other good "hiding place", and wait in the mornings if I were you, unless you can capitalize on a short rain shower to bring them out.

Groundhogs come out after the rain because they like to lick the water off the grass. They usually don't have access to water very often, and get the majority of their moisture from the vegetation they eat. When it rains they come out in droves to take advantage of all the fresh moisture within easy reach of their holes. Groundhogs are also active at night(contrary to poplular belief). They do a good bit of "hole digging" after dark.
Good post. I second that- after it rains is an excellent time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 11:42 PM

I usually only get to hunt them in the evening and have noticed that about 1/2 hour prior to the sun going down I don't see any. My theory is that they don't see well at this time of day so they head in. Most all of my groundhog hunting is down in western PA were there are a good quantity of coyotes and some large hawks around the fields.

btw have not had the chance to get one of the yotes yet. Looking forward to it though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:41 PM

Was out yesterday and didn't see a single groundhog. The temp was very hot and was out early in the morning. Could they be starting to hibernate or is it still early? Usually they are all over the place. Will try tomorrow after the rain.....

Tomorrow is another day!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I went out just after it quit raining but then it started up again. None came out, so I will try it again next time it rains. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page